Walk-up permit in Tuolumne Meadows

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Walk-up permit in Tuolumne Meadows

Post by Satsuma »

I know this is the very poplar question but I still not quite clear.

What time should I get in line at permit station to get a permit for next day? They start it at 11am. Should I come as early as 5 am or it does not make sense? When line for next day permits will start to form up? We are planing to get permits for three people going from Toulumne to Mt. Whitney. And we need to start on Monday, August 6, so we have to line for permits on Sunday.

Thank a lot.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Walk-up permit in Tuolumne Meadows

Post by maverick »

Hi Satsuma,

You have two threads inquiring about the same JMT hike permit issues, one earlier
this year and then 2 years ago.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7468&p=53169&hilit= ... its#p53169" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5419&p=33871&hilit= ... its#p33871" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted

Post by Satsuma »

I know, those questions are coming up again and again. And they are not the same, just similar. That's because there are still some things which remains unclear.

In this particular post my question was about the line for next day permits. Is it the same line which forms early morning for the same day permits. Or it is different. If we know we need to start next morning should we still come as early as 5am or it does not make any sense.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Called the Wilderness Permit Office in Yosemite and they said that the line starts to
form around 6-6:30 am, and the available walk-in permits for the next day is issued
out accordingly by your place in line at 11 am. The line for walk-ins and reservations
is the same since they do not have the staffing to accommodate separate lines.
Hope you get to do your JMT hike, looking forward to reading your TR when you get
back.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted

Post by Satsuma »

maverick wrote:Called the Wilderness Permit Office in Yosemite and they said that the line starts to
form around 6-6:30 am, and the available walk-in permits for the next day is issued
out accordingly by your place in line at 11 am. The line for walk-ins and reservations
is the same since they do not have the staffing to accommodate separate lines.
Hope you get to do your JMT hike, looking forward to reading your TR when you get
back.
Wow! Thank you, Maverick! That's the info I was looking for.