Seeking Input on The High Sierra Trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mshields
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Seeking Input on The High Sierra Trail

Post by mshields »

I am scheduled for a Crescent Meadows to Whitney Portal Trip in the second week of July and am seeking some advice. Let me start by listing my campsites:

Day 1 - Mehrten Creek
Day 2 - Upper Hamilton Lake
Day 3 - Big Arroyo Junction
Day 4 Moraine Lake
Day 5 - Junction Meadow
Day 6 - Crabtree Meadow
Day 7 - Trail Camp

I read the existing "Hiking from Hamilton Lake to Moraine Lake in One Day Post" tonight and realized a lot of you had good input for that area. My top priorities on the trail are as follows:

1) Enjoy myself and don't go overboard on the mileage
2) I am a sucker for good campsites (and willing to hike a bit extra for the result)
3) Would like to avoid mosquitos (as much as possible given the circumstances)
4) Enjoy Good Trout Fishing

I look forward to hearing some input; perhaps I could modify some of my planned campsites for the better!

Thanks
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: Seeking Input on The High Sierra Trail

Post by cgundersen »

M,
I'm guessing you'll be catching a heavy dose of bugs, so be prepared. The compensation is that whatever flowers are blooming this year should still be going strong. For day 1, even if you don't want to push it all the way to Hamilton, I'd go at least as far as Lone Pine Creek. I'm not a fan of Bearpaw or Bucks Creek and unless you're starting late in the day, you'll only be getting warmed up by the time you hit Mehrten. The rest of the itinerary sounds mostly great and should afford you fishing opportunities and plenty of great scenery. However, rather than drop down to Big Arroyo Junction, think about veering off to one of the lakes in Upper 9 Lakes basin. Better scenery, probably fewer bugs and likely better fishing!
cg
fourputt
Topix Acquainted

Post by fourputt »

I suggest adding the Hot Springs to the list if want good fishing. That's a good stretch of river.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I'll second what CG said. I did this trip with a group two Julys ago, and the first day to Mehrten Creek (or maybe it was Buck Creek -- they all blended together in my mind) was pretty unsatisfying. There's nothing to do once you're there, other than to dip in the creek (too cold for me). From all the other spots, you can do nice little 1/2 day hikes/detours. Then your 5th day, from Junction to Crabtree, is relatively long compared to your other days. We camped by the hotsprings (groovy, if you like concrete in the wilderness, but that's just my opinion) and then went to Wallace Creek the next day. The hike out of Junction Meadow is a bit of a grind, particularly the dry, dusty, winding beginning.

Mosquitoes the second week of July will be a lot less painful than the year we did it at the end of July. But the worst spots were: from just below 9 Lakes Basin to Big Arroyo (borderline unbearable), the very beginning of Kern Canyon, and Wallace Creek.
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Ska-T »

As far as the first day goes, how much mileage are you thinking about doing? The trail rolls up and down a bit, but overall it is fairly flat until Lone Pine Creek. If you are traveling in a small group you can find suitable campsites at various places along the trail between Mehrten and Bearpaw. cgundersen is right about Bearpaw. Although the Bearpaw High Sierra Camp for the well-to-do has exquisite views, the Bearpaw camping area for the masses is situated below in a depressingly dark, sterile, dry forest. By comparison, Bucks Creek (no great shakes) is a breath of fresh air.

Upper Hamilton is a beautiful place to camp, but can get crowded. If you get to Hamilton early, consider pressing on to Precipice, while not a grand is nonetheless scenic.
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

Thanks for the input everybody. A few more questions:

- I am catching the shuttle up the same day as my hike starts; thus my decision to stick to the low mileage. I am on break at work and thus have no map, but I believe the 1st days mileage is around 6 or so. I am interested in the Lone Pine Creek option if anyone thinks it is feasible? I also need to do an in park shuttle + permit pickup on the day.

- How much of a detour is it to camp in the Nine lakes basin and how are the campsites?

- How are the campsites at Kern Hot Springs?
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

using the bus and getting permit, expect to hit trail 10-11 am depending on the road closures.

I took the bus, got permit in lodgepole, and hiked to lone pine creek on the first day a few years ago. Awesome view of Hamilton domes from the campsite.....in fact a photo I took there is my walpaper photo on my computer. I hiked from lodgepole over to the lakes trail (merhan meadow?), over panther gap to the HST and then on to lone pine creek.

On the HST the miles go by quick. I made it there before dark.
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

fourputt wrote:I suggest adding the Hot Springs to the list if want good fishing. That's a good stretch of river.
Is the fishing good in terms of "quantity" or "size" ? Both would be a nice answer. :) Also, any particular tips on bringing them ashore?
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Lone Pine creek is feasible if you are young or in good shape or travel light, but why set a goal that goes against the #1 priority of your first post. Just hike and when you are within a mile or two of stopping then start looking for a camp site. You'll find one whether it is Lone Pine creek or not.

Nine Lake Basin, at least one of the lakes, is right near the trail and their are ample treeless camping spots. There are some trees above the lake on the east side, IIRC. The second lake is a short walk away.

I can't answer you about the camping at Kern Hot Springs. It's been over 40 yrs since I passed it by on a 24 mi day with a big old full Kelty. I probably should have stopped for a dip because out of the corner of my eye I saw more flesh than the meat department at Costco. Gotta love them hippy girls. :lol:
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

Thanks for the input everyone, this has helped me fine tune the itenerary. I especially like the flexibility on day one plus the nine lakes basin option. Sparky, thanks for the heads up on the road construction. Ska-T I will keep my eyes open at the hot springs :eek:

I will be posting a trip report in a few weeks.
Last edited by mshields on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.