Advice On new Tent Please..Big Agnes?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice On new Tent Please..Big Agnes?

Post by schmalz »

I picked up a Fly Creek 1 this year and have only used it one night so far. It worked great for that one night, but that's obviously not a huge endorsement. I'm going out for 9 days solo so that will be the real test.

The tent is easy to setup, light, and fits me and all my gear in it. I don't mind the front entry that much.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I should be more detailed about my review of the Speedhouse SL1

used it on a hike from the Portal to Sawmill Pass trailhead in fall 2010, I think.

The tent has no vents other than the front door. when you open the top zipper part of the door and the top of the door on the fly to let the warm air escape, you are open to rain falling straight in your face. The space in the vestibule is barely enough for two boots and a water bottle, while in the tent you can stuff some clothes and items like camera and maps next to your head, while in the bottom of the tent, the floor wraps up so fast, your sleeping bag will always touch the sidwalls.

Sleeping at Trail Camp the first night out, it was so cold, I had all zippers shut. By 3am I woke up with my down bag solidly wet on my chest from my breath, and ice crust on the outside. Froze through the rest of the night. In the following nights I tried to keep the door open and use the whole thing more like a tarp but it was raining twice at night, so that meant shutting the doors and getting steamed again. Without any decent cross ventilation across the top of the tent, it just is bound to get wet in there unless you have weather that allows you to sleep without a tent anyway. The copper spur design has two vents at the top of the fly for cross ventilation. Works great on the large UL3, so it should be even better for a single user UL1.

personally, for summer solo trips, I think I'd be looking at a tarp tent with netting. for any other season I prefer much more robust tents than any 3-season lightweight offering these days.

Speedhouse SL1 - looking out the only vent at Trail Camp on a 20F degree morning

my hiking buddy Mousie marking he spot where rain hits you when you leave the top of the fly door open for ventilation

madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Thank you Schmalz, Fishmonger and oldranger.....I have decided for sure on the Copper Spur UL1...just have not bought one yet :eek: ...What sold me on that one was that side entry and the fact there is a bit more solid fabric going up on the sides...A good tent is the most important item to me to have...besides a warm bag!
My tent is like my little bit of comfort I want while I am out in the wilds..so I want a good one.
Looking forward on getting a nice new tent!
Thank you all again for your comments..was very helpful!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

I bought the UL1 today finally!

Fishmonger..You mention you have the UL3...I am wonderfing if the UL3 is more comfortable fitting two people instead of three? Do you use yours for two or three? Would like to get another one for when my husband goes with me...the tent we use together is nice but way to heavy!
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

We have the Copper Spur UL2 and UL4.

The 2 is great as a solo, although it does make for a pretty large package. I found the size of the 1, versus the weight penalty for the 2, just wasn't enough for me and I'm willing to carry the difference. The 2 is not that heavy, but it's a big roll. The 2 also fits my wife and I very nicely, at a combined weight well over 300lb (ha ha ha!! I weigh two of her and am 14" taller) with vestibule space good for boots/shoes, hiding our REI tripod stools, etc... and very effective ventilation. It would, however, be pretty darn snug for two dudes over 160lb each...by mountaineering standards, just fine, but certainly "friendly".

The 4 is awesome as a lightweight, freestanding rig for 3. It weighs way less than carrying two tents and has plenty of room for our 3-person family, including a young teen. In fact, it's so light that we'll carry it as a two-some for "high country luxury" for plenty of space and all that nice mosquito netting (starve, fellas!). For 4, it better be the 160lb or less types unless you've got some european coeds that were caught in an August rain with only t-shirts and... well, nevermind.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Thanks Scouter.....It seems if a tent says it's a 3 person..it is most comfortable with only two people..thats how it is with ours...the one we use is a 3 person..but it is perfect for the two of us and all our gear inside including our packs. I was thinking of the UL2 for myself when I go without my husband..but decided just to get the UL1...I am excited to be getting it..hopefully in a few days!
Thanks again!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Hmmm.

Am I the only person in the world that never puts his pack inside the tent? Carry a large garbage bag to put over my pack. Seems to me that even empty of food a pack will still have food smells. So the pack stays outside, pockets open covered by the bag. Will admit my pack has never been bothered by large or small critters under those conditions but can't see putting my tent at risk.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

My backpack is only inside my tent in snowy/snowing conditions, if there's room. Otherwise, it's tied to a tree (so it doesn't tip over) with the same trash compactor bag I've used since the 80's around it.

I do take some "smellables" into the tent, however: usually my ditty bag with a chapstik, some fire starters, some meds, etc... No actual "food", but Yogi might not differentiate much. Of course, I am the largest smellable in the tent. :unibrow:
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Apologies for the necro thread, but does anyone have any experience with the Fly Creek 2 Platinum? Wondering if that's worth the special order and heftier price over the Fly Creek 2 UL. Thanks.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Carne,

Check these out, they may help:
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacki ... 2-Platinum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... ost=604218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org