The Lake N. Side of Harrison Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

The Lake N. Side of Harrison Pass

Post by madeintahoe »

Has anyone by chance been to this lake/tarn? I am looking at my 7.5 Mt. Brewer map....it shows a trail coming off of the trail that goes to East Lake and Lake Reflection...there are three lakes up there...the one I am asking about is below Harrison Pass on it's North side and West of Mt. Stanford..it shows the trail going up to these three lakes and on up to Harrison Pass and down the South side into the Upper Kern Basin.
Thanks!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Re: The Lake N. Side of Harrison Pass

Post by quentinc »

Do you mean the one that's just northwest of the bottom of Harrison Pass? If so, yes, it's on the route to East/Reflection Lake from Harrison. There's a fair bit of talus around it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

HI MT,

Yes, have been past those lakes. One picture came to mind immediately when you
asked that question was http://www.panoramio.com/photo/45479021" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which gives
you a great view of the 2 lower lakes, but you get an idea of the conditions of the
lake in question which is just to the right, and not in the photo.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Quentinc....Yes..below Harrison...the lake looks like the shape of an egg on the map.

Mavrerick...Thank you for posting that picture....Do you two remember the condition of that trail from the East Lake Trail up to those lakes?
I am intersted in that last lake because the late Philip Hyde was a black and white picture of that lake in an old 1954 Sierra Club Bulletin book...that reads "Under Harrison Pass, One of the Sierra's Most Exquisite Lakes".....I do not know if those are his words though...The photo is beautiful...so I have been interested in seeing it!...
Thank you both!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi MT,

Go about a mile up the trail leading from East Lake to Lake Reflection. There will be
spur trail leading up towards Harrison. The trail will get less discernible as you get
closer to Harrison, but no trail is needed because you will see where you are headed.
This is the lake you are referring to :
http://www.philiphyde.com/index.php#mi= ... 7&a=0&at=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.philiphyde.com/index.php#mi= ... 7&a=0&at=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That lake is located west and under the Ericsson Craigs from almost due east and
above the lake.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I visited this lake in the seventies, as shown on Hyde's picture. A friend and I were experimenting with going cross country and wandered over to it from Reflection. It was so memorable to me that it has been on my list to re visit ever since. We camped on the timbered side of the lake and caught Goldens on spoons every afternoon for two days. We would amuse ourselves by trolling empty bait hooks at the outlet and watch the fry attack in force. We explored all the tarns in the area but never got up to the pass. Mav, thanks for posting the images from philliphyde.com, although the picture from Panoramio does not look like the same lake as seen in Hyde's. Truly a magical Sierra spot.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

MT, as Mav says, the trail fades in and out quite a bit. And as usual, in a lot of places there are multiple different paths that are ducked, which ought to be a federal offense. But it's mankind's obsessive need to impose order on the world, I suppose. :) Anyway, you're pretty much heading up the drainage and it's easy to keep on the right general track. It's a really nice area, particularly if you do it after mosquitoes are gone.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Freestone wrote:
Mav, thanks for posting the images from philliphyde.com, although the picture from
Panoramio does not look like the same lake as seen in Hyde's.
The one in the Hyde's photo, and the one MT is inquiring about, is the lake west of
Ericsson Craigs, not the lake under Harrison Pass.

kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

In 2003 I dayhiked up near to the base of Harrison Pass from our camp at Lake Reflection. We got to the 2nd of the 3 lakes and looked up in the direction of the pass and saw approximately where it was. Sadly, I think we missed the 3rd lake that you refer to. To see it we would have had to pick our way across talus to pass the second lake and then head up, and frankly that did not seem interesting to us at the time. It was early afternoon, hot, and it was getting to be a pretty barren and grey world at that point.

You may see some remnants of a sketchy trail in the more woodsy and grassy areas closer to the bottom, but we fairly rapidly lost it. As others have said, it does not matter--it is easy to pick your route. If you are coming up from Reflection, there is one point below the lakes where it is easier to cut wide left and climb the bench than to stay too close to the stream, but this will probably be obvious to you.

Following are some pictures.

ps Freestone I just read your Buber quotation. It is wonderful, and I had not seen it before!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

maverick wrote:
Freestone wrote:
Mav, thanks for posting the images from philliphyde.com, although the picture from
Panoramio does not look like the same lake as seen in Hyde's.
The one in the Hyde's photo, and the one MT is inquiring about, is the lake west of
Ericsson Craigs, not the lake under Harrison Pass.
I caught on a little slowly! I think we walked right by that lake without exploring it. Are you referring to the unnamed lake between Ericsson Crags and Lake Reflection, with a morraine and Lucy Foot Pass to the SSE?