Stove

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
eaglecreek
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Stove

Post by eaglecreek »

I've been using a Coleman exponent propane/butane stove for a few years and am quite satisfied with it. But, I've not tried it at elevation higher than 5,000 feet. I'll be making my first trip to the SN in August and was wondering two things: 1) Anybody know of performance issues with this stove at higher elevations? and 2) I believe that I cannot carry the fuel canisters on an airplane either in checked baggage or carry-on. Is there a place near San Francisco that has a reliable supply of the propane/butane canisters (the canister has a threaded port)?
frediver
Topix Regular

Re: Stove

Post by frediver »

If it is the F-1 then any wal-mart, REI or sporting goods store will have fuel.
Pack a windscreen. The only issues are with cold weather near or below freezing.
Chris B
Topix Acquainted

Post by Chris B »

Eaglecreek,

Availability is not an issue you will probably be able to get them at most Gas Stations in the area. The Snowpeak and MSR cannisters will also work.

Regarding performance, I had issues last year will a canister stove in July at around 10,000ft I am not sure it if was the altitude or overnight temps that were in the low 30's but it took along time to make my morning coffee. I never had this problem with my MSR white gas stove. I am not sure if it is true but I have heard that in cold temperatures only the propane turns to gas so after a while you are only left with Butane that will remain liquid once you get near to freezing. I suggest you take a spare canister just in case.

Apparently the propane stoves with remote cylinders work better because they feed the gas pipe next to the burner to pre-heat it. eg. MSR windpro
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

On cold nights I always bring my gas can in my tent and wrap it up or put it in the bottom of my bag. Normally that will keep it warn enough to operate in the morning.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Just tape a toe warmer pack to the fuel canister OR set the canister in a bowl of water to warm it up.
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Scouter9 »

I'm with Gary: unless actually on a "snow trip", I just store the canisters either in the tent or in my bag, wrapped. I have been so impressed with the power, speed and weight of my Optimus Crux canister stove that the old, reliable MSR white gas rig is relegated to only special circumstances. The canister stove works great at altitude, in low temps and etc... With the cookset, fuel, matches, mini-bic, spork and stove head, the Crux kit weighs less than just the stovehead of an XGK and is slightly smaller than a Nalgene bottle, all in one.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Elevation: definitely not an issue. If the temperature stayed the same as you went up, the stove would actually run better at higher elevations - but since the temperature generally is lower at higher elevations, this isn't obvious.

Temperature: Cold can be a problem, but in the summer in the Sierra I've never had it be an issue.usually it has to be below freezing for you to notice the effect (you'll notice it more if the canister is near empty).