That Time Again

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: That Time Again

Post by Cross Country »

As always, it's a pleasure to (hear) from you and of course I'm looking forward to your report of that special lake.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Hey Rogue- Mt Russell is a good climb - we have to make a rock climber out of you! A lot of experienced climbers hesitate on Mt. Russell. I have been in that basin at the head of Deadman Canyon in early season- and it IS snowy - paid my dues with plenty of post-holing. Give us a good update on mosquitoes.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah mt. Russell was fun and beautiful. I eacaped with only a bashed right knee, two big gashes in my left leg, a bashed and gashed left arm and a gashed right wrist. Other then that it was fine lol.

As for mosquitoes they have been very mild. I have yet yo camp where they were bad enough for deet or even putting on my head net. They have only been bad in meadow areas while i passed through.

Met lots of great people already. Ran into yogi at junction meadow. He is out for 120 days so i still have him beat lol.

Pants pass was allot of fun riding that scree down. Even when twice the whole hill side began to go on me both above and below. I had to run across to get out of the way or be taken with it.

Other then cold it has been nice weather. Only snow one day and a tiny bit of rain on another.
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

GO ROGUE!!
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Here's the story about the baby deer, quote from Rogue's FB.
well i was watching a mother and her two babies for awhile and then one of them fell down in the grass and did not come out. i watched for like 10 minutes while the mom dug at the grass and freaked out so i decided i had to do something. i came over slow talking to the mom softly while i could hear the baby crying. i found it had fallen into a drainage and was neck deep in water. i could tell it would never get out alive. i reached in and picked the poor thing out and set it in the grass. after a minute it got up and mom was more then happy to get her baby back. it was probably the most meaningful thing i have done out here
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

TRAUMAhead wrote:Here's the story about the baby deer, quote from Rogue's FB.
well i was watching a mother and her two babies for awhile and then one of them fell down in the grass and did not come out. i watched for like 10 minutes while the mom dug at the grass and freaked out so i decided i had to do something. i came over slow talking to the mom softly while i could hear the baby crying. i found it had fallen into a drainage and was neck deep in water. i could tell it would never get out alive. i reached in and picked the poor thing out and set it in the grass. after a minute it got up and mom was more then happy to get her baby back. it was probably the most meaningful thing i have done out here
Now thats pretty cool in my book!! Thanks for posting that Trauma!!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi rogue,
Nice job with the fawn! i'm guessing you've had meager company out there, but if the trailhead signups are any indication, there will be more folks soon; maybe not as far back in as you're going, but you'll see lots more as you re-supply.
I just cemented a trip with an old college buddy, and we'll be very close to you as you end your Ionian Basin segment. We'll hike in from Florence on Aug.9 and be heading for Martha and then the Blue Canyon Tunemah area. Thus, if you wind up heading down Goddard canyon rather than McGee/Evolution, we may cross paths.
cg
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

I wish you good luck on making Hester Lake. That's always been one of my goals and I got close once from the backside but jacked up my knee in boulder-hopping. Still on the list :-)

Alan
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

RoguePhotonic wrote:Yeah mt. Russell was fun and beautiful. I eacaped with only a bashed right knee, two big gashes in my left leg, a bashed and gashed left arm and a gashed right wrist. Other then that it was fine lol.
Rogue, how did you do that?? With Russell I've always thought you'll either be fine or smashed into 73,000 pieces. I didn't know there was an in between. :) Of course, I once did bash my head on an overhang simply by standing up. Thin air up there....
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I slipped two different times on russell and got bashed up. Nothing two bad but too hard to type on this to go into detail.

Did my last section more or less as planned. Took silliman to roaring river up cloud and over the whaleback. Then wenton to brewer. Took some injury on thunder ridge pass yet still climbed mt brewer the next day so i over did it. As a result i planned to take another day at cedar grove but when i got here on saturday the phones were down and i could not contact anyone to bring my resupply so i have been stuck for three layover days.

I wasnt sure why people said ot was bad dropping from longely to lake reflection. Other then the cornice at the top getting down was fast and easy.

Not much else to report. Going pn my longest and probably roughest sections next. Parchers probably does not have wifi so other then tomorrow i probably will not be hear from again, "cough" i mean for over 30 days.

Still rolling on good weather. Only saw one other day of slight sprinkles for 10 minutes. Still have not camped anywhere the mosquitoes were bad.