What Will Be Your Mosquito Avoidance Techniques?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What Will Be Your Mosquito Avoidance Techniques in 2012?

Post by rlown »

probably shouldn't get to anal about it.. you cover up appropriately for the conditions. Seems pretty clear from the responses.. If they bug you too much, don't go now.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I've taken to wearing long nylon pants and longsleeved nylon shirt in all conditions--for sun protection first and foremost, but also for mosquitoes and brush. I impregnate these with permithrin once a season. Then I use small amounts of deet for exposed skin and an over-the-hat net in camp.

A couple of years ago I listened to an entomologist who specialized in mosquitoes explain our allergic reactions to them. As a general rule, we are all allergic to each new species and subspecies we encounter, but the more often we are bitten the less our reaction to that particular variety. Since there are thousands of species and subspecies most of the time we will be encountering a new variety. But if you go back to the same lake year after year you may find that the bites become increasingly less irritating. Walk over the pass to a new lake and the bites may swell.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

Kpeter, that's very interesting.
I have the good fortune not to develop any reaction to any mosquito bites in the Sierra. I did get itchy bumps when I lived in NJ, but I never do now. They still hurt though!
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

I will be hiking the High Sierra Trail in a few weeks? Could anybody give me some recommendations on long sleeve shirts (brand/make) that they have had luck with? I have never worn long sleeve shirts in the past, but after reading all these vampire stories I think I need to add to the wardrobe!!!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

mshields

I just get whatever is synthetic and on sale and do what kpeter does to his gear. One other thing I do is that when it is warm I take my shirt off and dip the arms and top 1/2 of the shirt into water whenever I pass a water source. I can do this right up to about 3 in the afternoon and have the shirt dry when things cool off. This turns a heat retainer into an evaporative cooler. Putting the wet shirt on is a real wakeup, too. I don't get the bottom half wet because the excess moisture in my shorts/pants causes nasty chafing.

Unless I am hiking in really low elevations (Hetch Hetchy, Merced Lake to Valley) I don't even take a shortsleve shirt.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I find that very loose fit on a shirt is best. If the shirt cloth is tight on your skin, the skeets bite through it. I hate those vent back panels - I usually sew them shut. Skeets can get inside and bite through the netting meaterial. And the arm slits at the cuffs offer entry to mosquitoes. Be sure to put some DEET on your arms next to the slits. I also find that a shirt alone is not enough - I wear a T-shirt under the long sleeve shirt. It does get hot at times.

If you wet the shirt, just dip it in water and wring it out AWAY from the water. Home treated Permethian clothing will leak the insecticide into the water - not good for the fish.

They sell netting clothing. A friend tried them years ago and it did not work. He quickly tore holes in the netting and just from moving in the shirt, the material would get tight against his skin and the skeet would quickly bite. They may work if you are fishing or sitting around camp, but are not that helpful on the trail.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I find that any of those canvasy-looking khaki long sleeve shirts work. I have a cheap one from Campmor. I've never treated it with Permethrin, although that's a good idea. As Daisy notes, the only problem is if the shirt is pressed tight against your skin, in which case sometimes mosquitoes can bite through.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I just use the basic REI Sahara nylon shirts and pants. The weave is fine enough that mosquitoes do not penetrate it, although they certainly can get through slits and vents--hence the permithrin for a little extra help. Being thin and nylon it also dries very quickly, as oldranger notes. I do wear a tshirt underneath--more for comfort but this also provides me an extra layer if I need it. It can get hot, but I seldom am bothered by that at higher elevations.
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

mshields wrote:I will be hiking the High Sierra Trail in a few weeks? Could anybody give me some recommendations on long sleeve shirts (brand/make) that they have had luck with? I have never worn long sleeve shirts in the past, but after reading all these vampire stories I think I need to add to the wardrobe!!!
Thank you everyone (oldranger/wanderingdaisy/quentinc/kpeter) for the input; some good take home points:
- Synthetic (quick drying)
- Loose Fit
- Undershirt
- Periodic Partial Water Dips For The Evaporative Cooling Effect
- Possible Permathin Treatment

I will order something up tonight.
sbslider
Topix Novice

Post by sbslider »

Heading out tomorrow into Yosemite, hiking from Tuolumne Meadows to the valley. Treated a set of clothes with spray on permethrin, as I waited until the last minute. I have also read about buying higher concentrated permethrin, diluting it in water, and soaking clothes. I am thinking the treatment lasts much longer this way, is that true? Several other trips coming up this summer in our family, and getting lots of clothes treated inexpensively is attractive.

Thanks for the replies!