Mount Silliman - much snow?????

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
wingding

Mount Silliman - much snow?????

Post by wingding »

I'm thinking trying to day hike to Mount Silliman via the Twin Lakes Trail in Sequoia National Park next weekend. Has anyone been up that way lately? I'm wondering where the snow starts and how much snow I'll have to deal with.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mount Silliman - much snow?????

Post by copeg »

wingding wrote:I'm thinking trying to day hike to Mount Silliman via the Twin Lakes Trail in Sequoia National Park next weekend. Has anyone been up that way lately? I'm wondering where the snow starts and how much snow I'll have to deal with.
Don't know if this helps, but I could see the south side of Mt Silliman from Heather Lake across the valley this last weekend. No snow on the south side. The peaks of similar height around the area that I could see (eg Alta Peak) had at most up to 6 inches starting around 10,000 on there north sides. I think that has probably lessened given the recent weather.
wingding

Post by wingding »

thanks Trailblazer. We did Alta a few years ago when the snow level was around 9,000 feet, so it sounds like Silliman will be a good hike next weekend unless it snows this week.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

I was up there in May of 2004 (among other times) when the lake was frozen over and there was quite a bit of snow above 9000 feet or so. However, the slabs were completely dry and the last stretch of scrambling after the upper lakle to the summit was snow free. Just snow in the chute below the summit.

Since those slabs are mostly south facing I bet it'll be fine. I have some pics from a couple of treks there if they'd be any use.

Have a great time, those slabs are a blast and the summit views from Silliman are awesome.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Thanks Shawn - I found your pictures on you website - they will be very helpful. I also like your pictures from Eagle Scout Peak - I'd like to do that one too eventually.

So far the weather forecast looks okay for this coming week, so I'm getting excited about the hike. I had planned to go to Death Valley, but if I can get another Sierra trip in I'd rather do that before I get closed out by the snow.

I've always thought a nice winter trip would be a snowshoeing trip out to Pear Lake. Maybe I'll actually do it this winter.

Kathy
copeg

Post by copeg »

wingding wrote:
I've always thought a nice winter trip would be a snowshoeing trip out to Pear Lake. Maybe I'll actually do it this winter.

Kathy
This is one of the many things on my list this winter...
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Looks like three of us want to get to Pear Lake in the snow! Perhaps we'll cross paths......?

Kathy - You will find the use trails nearest the creek makes the best XC route on your way to the Silliman slabs (that is to say above the creek, and along side it).
wingding

Post by wingding »

If either of you don't mind company when you head out to Pear Lake this winter, let me know. Either a day hike or an overnighter will work for me.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Shawn: Is the use trail along Silliman Creek is on the south side? I read that you don't cross the creek to pick up the use trail.

This map has it on the south side too:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountains/pho ... &route_id=

Is that correct?
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Kathy,

That is correct. When you arrive at the creek, you will not cross it but veer off to the right. You will find a need to go uphill a little and then you'll want to proceed along the right hand side of the creek on your way to Silliman.

If you carry a GPS, mark the location of the trail for ease of finding it on your return (if not, take a good look around).