Kearsarge->Forester->Shepherd

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Kearsarge->Forester->Shepherd

Post by oldranger »

Folks following this thread:

Pay attention to what Daisy is saying! She probably has more experience than all you 30 somethings on down have combined. She knows what happens when things turn to sh-t! We oldsters certainly appreciate advances in lightweight gear but also appreciate having a margin of safety--there is a reason that we are still backpacking in our 60s with 50 or more years of experience.

I don't understand the logic of spending lots of hours creating a great down quilt and then getting under it without donning long underwear to protect your gear from your accumulated dirt and sweat residue. Everyone knows that keeping down dry is important but keeping it clean is important, too.

First aid kits. Mine is small, focus is on wound treatment--antibiotic cream and non-stick pads. Bandanas then used for wrapping. At my age I am frequently 3 days from a trailhead--40 years ago that would be a day and a half. In May I actually needed bandaids to stop from bleeding from fingers during meal preparation (due to medication, hopefully to be halted before my next trip, I bleed like a stuck pig from minor scrapes on my fingers). Obviously a piece of bandana could have worked too but would have been a bit awkward.

Spot Locator--it bothers me when people think that being in a group obviates the benefits of a locator. 2 days from help and relying on others in the group can result in death for serious injuries. Spot is no guarantee but greatly increases the odds of survival if you have a serious internal injury or burst appendix and you are in Kerrick Canyon in N. Yosemite.

Hike Safe!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Kearsarge->Forester->Shepherd

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Hobbs- I am probably destined for fair weather, short duration trips as I get older, but right now, my style is almost the opposite. I am doing final panning on my summer trip (about 210 miles/ 36-40 days in the northern Rockies, with 2 resupplies). I am guarenteed nearly daily thunderstorms for half the trip, likely some snow, mostly nights near freezing, usually 5-8 days straight without seeing a single other person. About 80% of the trip is off-trail. You just cannot keep going all day like we do in the Sierra. One must get up crack of dawn and plan to be over passes by 2PM due to storms. If the afternoon storm does not materilaize, you just consider yourself lucky and "make hay" while the sun shines! You plan for 5-6 mile days, and then double up when the weather cooperates. I swear I have configured 100 different scenarios of daily travel and am still struggling to get it to work.

I am absolutely agonizing over gear. In my youth, I would just dump on the gear and haul it! My body can no longer carry a 50-60 pound pack. Hence, I have embraced light weight backpacking. My TarpTent is fine for the Sierra, but a bit marginal for my anticipated conditions. I am thinking of taking my bivy sack as backup. I would LOVE to buy one of those nice new light bivy sacks. But I already own three! My husband says I should give two of my old bivy sacks to the homeless, then I would only own one, and could justify buying another! And then, the 10-12 day rations (already down to 1.3# per day - by the time you have been out in the mountains 30+ days, you do develop quite an appatite) put my pack weight right at the limit (both weight and capacity) of my lighter, preferred pack. The last time I did a 13-day trip in the Wind Rivers I used my external frame Kelty with home-made light pack bag. And fishing. Fishing is great - do I add fishing gear? (probably yes). Light and fast, this trip IS NOT going to be! As much as I like the light and fast philosophy, it just is not working out.

The Sierra is the only place I have backpacked where one can really count on drying out after some foul weather. When I first backpacked in the Sierra I was amazed that I could put damp socks out to dry overnight! Not that the Sierra cannot catch you off-guard, but it is not as common. We become very spoiled backpacking in the Sierra!