TR: Miter Basin 6/6-6/10

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by riverwalker »

I am a little slow, but have been super busy. I have barely had time to check out my photos from the trip. I have included some sloppy edits to go with the report.

June 6:
After class I drove up to Horseshoe Meadows and arrived at midnight. My buddy had been there for a couple days so I wanted to at least sleep at elevation instead of driving up early morning from almost sea level.

June 7:
Hit the trail at a leisurely hour. We went up over Cottonwood pass. Boy I was feeling out of shape. My pack was weighed down with camera gear (body, two lenses, and a tripod). I really should leave it home for the first hike, but what if…..

We hiked in to Soldier Lake and made camp. I wandered around, tossed a few lures(no luck) and wasn’t too inspired with the photography. Skeeters were almost nonexistent.

June 8:

Another leisure morning. I was up early and shot a few photos and tossed a few lures (no luck).

We headed up to Miter Basin (my first time). I enjoyed the meandering creeks on our way in. We went up to Sky Blue and hung out. I tossed a few lures (luck this time, a beautiful golden and a hybrid).

I decided to head back down below the lake as I felt there were more photo ops. Shot for a while and had a late dinner.

June 9:

I happened to wake up at 1am just before the moon crested the divide. I decided to crawl out of my warm sleeping bag and shoot some night photography for about an hour. It turned out to be somewhat productive and I had fun.

I shot some photos before sunrise and then we packed up and headed back to Soldier Lake.

Hiking along Rock Creek we hit a heinous spot for skeeters. They were thick and it was a surprise as we hardly had seen any until this point. I increased my pace and got up high and away from the creek and it thinned out. We went up New Army Pass and hung out at the top for a while talking to a few folks.

After we descended and went to Cottonwood Lakes. The bugs were thick but they seemed to be about 5 feet overhead. I could hear them whining and thought it was going to be miserable. I haven’t had my floorless shelter in thick bug conditions yet so I was curious how it would do. I thankfully wasn’t able to find out because they stayed high, then the wind helped and then it got pretty cool. The fish rising was a little frustrating. I was wishing I had my fly rod and it was in season. I was pretty tired so I didn’t shoot any photos tonight.

June 10:

I woke up before sunrise and ran up to the upper lake. There were lots of good photo ops and I had a fun time shooting.
We took our time making our way back to the trail head.

The weather was perfect for a hiking trip…not so much for photography. We saw two clouds the entire 4 days; if you can call them clouds. I have seen contrails with more consistency then these. It felt good to get under a pack and wander around for a few days. It had been way too long.
BuckSnort
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Miter Basin 6/6-6/10

Post by BuckSnort »

Nice report and great pics.. If you don't mind sharing what were you're settings for the pic of you're tent glowing at night and the one above it... Whenever I attempt these they come out grainy..
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Awesome trip report. I am heading to miter basin this sunday! STOKED. Your shots look awesome!

-Mike
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted

Post by riverwalker »

BuckSnort- Settings for that shot were 20s, f/5, ISO 800 When you say grainy, do you mean noisy? Are you using an SLR? The bigger, better and newer of a sensor the less noise you will have to deal with. I would have used a lower ISO but I wanted the stars to be closer to pinpoints. I was still a little long at 20 secs as there is a little blur but not too bad. 15 seconds would have been better.

Mradford-
Have a great trip...I am anxious to go back and spend some more time in the basin.
BuckSnort
Topix Acquainted

Post by BuckSnort »

RW, Yes I use a SLR.. It's a Canon 10D... yes, they seem to come out noisy when I try these shots...Also sometimes have red or green dots scattered throughout the pics for some reason... Thanks for you're reply...
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted

Post by riverwalker »

Buck
The 10D compared to more recent SLR's has quite a bit more noise at longer exposures an especially higher ISOs. It is amazing what the new models are capable of. I have a 50D and the difference is substantial compared to my 10 and 20Ds. I am currently saving for the 5D :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi RW,

Thanks for the TR and pictures. PM sent.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Great pictures and report! Looks like you guys had a great time. It's a magical place.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Great trip report. Amazing contrast to when we were there last year - Miter Basin was pretty full of snow on the fourth of July weekend. Let's hope the dry conditions mean the skeeters will be dying out quickly this year.
Down Miter Basin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for the beautiful pxts and trip report. I appreciate the shots of your gear (gear head here), and the clarity of your night shots! I've got to get a DSLR. I'm headed over NAP this Thurs.