East Side Shade/Forest - Which Trails?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

East Side Shade/Forest - Which Trails?

Post by jessegooddog »

Dog Lake off the Tioga Pass and Emerad/Skelton out of Mammoth's Coldwater Campground have considerable shade. I am a wimp in the heat and looking for dayhikes during summer heat waves when I don't make it to the trailhead before sunrise.
Fran
Topix Acquainted

Re: East Side Shade/Forest - Which Trails?

Post by Fran »

The shadiest one I know is from Horseshoe Lake to Crater Meadows. It's between 3 and 4 miles each way and not difficult. The route can be just a little tricky and it's easy to get sidetracked toward Red's Meadow. Here's a video I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3w6zcKGHK4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are some other day hikes on my YouTube page.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the video Fran.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Thank you so much, the trail looks lovely. My late husband was not much of a hiker but liked McCloud Lake, I will bring some ashes with me.