Going out this weekend

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Going out this weekend

Post by AlmostThere »

I will be heading for dinkey wilderness from the cliff lake side late Saturday afternoon. If you see a gal in a red SAR shirt carrying a fishing pole and a blue pack, say Hi.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Going out this weekend

Post by rlown »

the SAR shirt and the fishing pole make no sense. The blue pack, i understand. :)

are you there for SAR or for fun, or both?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

We do preventive SAR - so it will be both. I talk to people and scope out trail conditions and waypoint landing zones. Also impromptu hug-a-tree talks with kids.

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Please expand on preventative SAR.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Not sure how to do that - it's mostly public awareness work, pre-planning (finding good places to land a helicopter, being familiar with our area and the trails), and being on the scene if someone is missing.

sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Ill be heading out of onion valley friday night with my brand spankin new bright blue osprey pack might try for university peak....or just over to kearsarge lakes if you see me, say hi!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Had a good weekend. Went with the team to put up fences around subalpine meadows. This is one of our fundraisers - we get no money from the sheriff's coffers so apply for grants. Pg&e will donate to the team if we maintain fences to keep range cattle out of some of the meadows.

Then I went out on the trail and talked to some folks about what they do to stay safe. Met a prospective team member as well. Caught some fish in Cliff Lake and near the inlet of Courtright.

A good weekend, perfect weather, and only ten Mossie bites. Not bad after wandering five miles in boggy meadows.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi AT,

Any wild flowers popping in the meadows yet? How low was the Nelson Creek crossing?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Creeks are very low - Nelson is a Step across.

Flowers are booming in meadows, mostly shooting stars. We saw lots of the little white lilies (not mariposa lillies).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks AT!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org