saucer meadow to lewis lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bps999
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

saucer meadow to lewis lakes

Post by bps999 »

I'm considering going to Lewis lakes/granite dome the last week of June. Any info on the creek crossing south of saucer meadow or the rest of the xc route to Lewis or granite dome? thanks
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: saucer meadow to lewis lakes

Post by FeetFirst »

Below is a picture taken June 2nd from the trail about a quarter mile south of Saucer Meadow looking southwest towards Iceland Lake:

Here's an annoted topo map of where we approximately crossed Summit Creek. We crossed in the early afternoon and while the creek was moving pretty good, it was below our knees (I'm 5'10") and not really an issue. It was very cold and by the time I was to the other side my feet were throbbing with pain but warmed up within minutes. We only scrambled about halfway up the granite slope towards Lewis Lakes, but the xc route looked clear all the way there.

I have some pictures from the creek crossing but haven't uploaded them up to the web yet. When I get home tonight, I'll post some of those as well.

Okay, here's a shot of my friend and I snacking before crossing Summit Creek:
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

I'm also interested in this area for next week (June 21-24). Thanks for posting the pictures, FeetFirst! How were the mosquitos in early June?
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

wildhiker wrote:How were the mosquitos in early June?
Not bad, surprisingly. The only time they were present was at dusk for about a half hour.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
no2haven
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by no2haven »

Snow cover looks a lot like it did during my trip to Blackhawk Mountain in mid-July 2010, though the creek looks a little higher than it did back then...didn't have a problem with either, though I went from Mosquito Pass, not the lakes route.
IMG_0826-001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.