Cottonwood Pass, Lower Soldier Lake, Mount Pickering

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wingding

Cottonwood Pass, Lower Soldier Lake, Mount Pickering

Post by wingding »

We went over Cottonwood Pass, camped at Lower Soldier Lake, and did a day hike to Mount Pickering this last weekend. It was a really nice weekend. Here are some pictures I took:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/1683287/2/82606850
krudler
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by krudler »

Great pics like always Kathy! :)
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

Beautiful pictures Kathy, looks like you had a great trip. I really like your smugmug setup.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Kathy..Thank you for posting these.....really beautiful pictures you took, looks like you had a wonderful time! Looks like my Milestone Basin, Upper Kern BP is on hold again for yet another year :crybaby: ...Im going into the Miter Basin on July 31st instead..I was thinking of Pickering...im going to try for Irvine, Mallory & LeConte probably to ambitious.but we will see what happens...we day hiked up to Primrose the last time I was in the MB, but did not see Erin. We will go out over NAP and hopefully get to Langley on the way out. Did you see any sky pilots still in bloom? Im hoping I get to still see a few in bloom.
Thank you for sharing! :)
SBSlowpoke
Topix Novice

Post by SBSlowpoke »

Sky Pilots are in full force right now and should last for (hopefully) a couple more weeks. Amazing how these are really the only things growing up there...ah, and that heavenly scent...!

On a related note, I came across some (rare?) white Polemonium last week:

Ratboy
Topix Regular

Post by Ratboy »

sweet shots wingding...very sweet. Now I am bummed my time, after my vacation last month, is being consumed by work and school.

about the flower SBSlowpoke caught on the switchbacks at Whitney?, right?

I saw them too on July 5th...
pretty neat.
Dave - Getting it done, one day at at time.
http://www.dnkrhodes.com
SBSlowpoke
Topix Novice

Post by SBSlowpoke »

Oh sure, one-up my polemonium shot! :crybaby:

Yep, the switchbacks. It's always amazing how spring comes on with a vengeance in just a few short weeks:

Ratboy
Topix Regular

Post by Ratboy »

Dude, I cannot even pronounce that flower name...
Dave - Getting it done, one day at at time.
http://www.dnkrhodes.com
wingding

Post by wingding »

lots of polemoniums up near the summit of Pickering, but I didn't take any pictures of them for some reason. No white ones though.

Madeintahoe - It's a nice hike to Irvine from Miter Basin. You'll enjoy it. I stopped at Irvine and didn't try Mallory while up there. Typically, when I plan more than one peak for a trip I'm really happy to get to the first one and don't go on to the second. I guess I'm a one peak a trip person.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Kathy..the more pictures I see of Arc Pass....it looks beautiful very dramatic looking I can see why they named it that..and yeah for sure looks like a great hike up to it. I will be very pleased if I get to only one of those peaks I want to try for. Still thinking of Pickering too. I remember how gorgeous hiking the outlet creek of primrose was
Just hope the weather gods are friendly that day
So glad to hear that the Sky Pilots are still blooming... that makes me feel happy to have a chance to still see them.

Gorgeous pictures of them both SBslowpoke & Ratboy...I would love to see the white ones :nod: