Station Fire Video

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Station Fire Video

Post by gary c. »

I copied this link from the Fly Fishing Addicts Forum. It's hard to believe the camera survived the fire but the results are pretty awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb06qtcOLeY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: Station Fire Video

Post by The Other Tom »

WoW ! thanks for posting. The falling embers look pretty bad...glad no one was caught in that.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Pretty eye opening experience seeing the fire from within, wow. Thanks Gary for
posting it.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

The time line is one of the things that really had an impact on me. I know and have seen from a distance how fast a wildfire can travel but seeing it in the confines of that little canyon and you sure realize the 30 minutes can be a lifetime.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I toured the remains of Gleason Conservation Camp (where two firefighters died in that fire), and the devastation is pretty astounding. (I posted a TR back in January). I'm glad I didn't run into those bears on my trip!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

quentinc,

What is this phobia about bears? I always look forward to seeing them and don't see them enough. (They are not welcome in my camp, though, and you would be shocked at how belligerent I get when one comes near. Away from camp it is live and let live.)

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Mike,

No phobia about bears, it's just that in all my trips to that area (and really all of So Cal south of Walker Pass) I keep my food in my tent at night. The idea that I would have to carry a canister (or try to bear bag in one of those spindly burned trees) is appalling. I mean, there has to be some benefit to the smog and aridity down here!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Q
LOL! I suspect bears in SOCAL are pretty shy but why not just do a simple hang and tie off to tree? I just can't get the idea of putting food in tent. It really is an unnecessary personal risk. I know several people who do so and it works until it doesn't. It is kind of like going without a vacination. Risks are pretty low of contracting a disease--as long as everyone else does it but costs of contracting disease may be much highter than taking the precaution.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Mike:

I think all the violent bears in SoCal break into homes in Glendora instead of tents, but you are probably right.