pass south of grinnell col

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Sierra_Summits
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

pass south of grinnell col

Post by Sierra_Summits »

has anyone been over this pass. im not sure if it has a name but it looks easier than grinnell pass which is a little more to the north. thinking of going over it in a few days. class 2 or 3? it is maked by the red flag.

summits
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Heaven is here on Earth!"

--Bob Marley
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: pass south of grinnell col

Post by maverick »

Scroll down almost to the bottom of the page where these folks crossed the ridge
between Hopkins and Grinnell. Pictures included of the ridges eastern and western
side.
http://www.johnreedfamily.com/~mono_rec ... s_2000.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

When I want to design a route over steep areas, I download online from the libre map project that easily has the best topo scans online. From that did an mwsnap screen capture, then edited the orange and red line routes in MS Paint:

Notice how much better one can see the obvious ramp on the west side? Obviously the steeper issues are on the west side. We spent 2 days at Grinnel and I closely checked the route with my monocular from below though I didn't have time to actually climb up there like I wanted to. On the east side the longer more gradual walk down route is in red. No doubt given the unplanned methods of most they just go right up the steep orange route. However the east side has just one 40 foot steep section while the west side has seven that is obvious class 2 with use of hands grabbing rock and whitebark pine branches.

I have unfinished business in the Laural Creek basin so have a 5 or 6-day trip planned for the future. Some aesthetic perspective thereabouts but not particularly obvious unless one does their homework.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

That may be the pass I tried to get over on my pool of blood trip two years ago (I had a cut that wouldn't stop bleeding). If so, it was an immense grind getting to about 50 feet from the top, and then it looked so onerous I actually turned around, which is something that it normally takes wild horses to pull me into doing. Class 2 -3 is probably accurate (although the very top might have been high class 3), but with a heavy pack it was an ordeal. If you see blood stains, you'll know you're following my trail. :)
Sierra_Summits
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sierra_Summits »

thanks for ur help guys!

headed out for a 5 day trip on sunday...going to red and white mtn, graveyard lakes, cotton lake, and such.

will post photos later.

summits
"Heaven is here on Earth!"

--Bob Marley