rae lakes/sixty lakes basin from onion valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
deej
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

rae lakes/sixty lakes basin from onion valley

Post by deej »

I would like to show my son Rae Lakes/Sixty Lakes Basin from Onion Valley in July (he's so cool to be taking his mama out!!). I've been to Kearsarge Lakes area, and have stayed at Charlotte Lake before. Hiked up to Glenn Pass on a heavy snow year and was in absolute awe of the view (no tech gear so didn't head to Rae). This year, I'd like to go straight over to Rae Lakes and play at the Sixty Lakes Basin. We only have 3 nights, 4 days. I didn't find much written about the basin, so I am interested in people's thoughts on its being worth the fast track trek! My son has never hiked this area. Thanks.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: rae lakes/sixty lakes basin from onion valley

Post by maverick »

HI Deej,

Here is a TR from 2011: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7090&p=49947&hilit= ... sin#p49947" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Be prepared for a lot of mosquito's.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
deej
Topix Acquainted

Post by deej »

Thanks Maverick. For whatever reason, I received a fatal error when tapping into the link you sent. Yeah, my favorite places seem to be the mosquito ridden ones. It's a good thing I don't let those pesty bugs ruin my trip. Thanks for your response.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

Thanks for remembering my trip report, Maverick. Here's a direct link that should work deej:

http://www.sonic.net/~words/ASITHSTripReports.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have problems with that, try the link on my signature.

I hope you get better weather than I did. If you can manage 4 nights, that would be better. Going in or out of Rae Lakes from Onion Valley in one day is possible, if you get an early start, but it makes for a long day. Also, I highly recommend spending one night in Sixty Lakes Basin.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
coneill
Topix Novice

Post by coneill »

My wife and I did this trip last year, mid-August, with our kiddos - 8 and 10 years old at the time. We got off late on the first day, camped at Kearsarge, then went over Glen the next day. We arrived in the later afternoon, and still had time to get up to sixty-lakes basin. On the third day, we did the relatively easy climb up to the col overlooking Garner basin, then moved down to Rae lakes. Last day was a longer but fun hike out.

I agree with the earlier post...if you can swing 4 nights, it is well worth it. The scenery is spectacular, and there's lots of privacy to be found in sixty lakes basin. But, I do think it is a very doable 3 night trip without young kids.
"You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers. But when I get home, the only thing I have power over, is the garbage." - Bob Ross

Fine art wilderness images and workshops:
http://www.coryjoneillphotography.com
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I did that trip last July 4 when there was a lot of snow, and am in fact planning on doing it this weekend (taking Monday off). I will be doing this again as a 3 day trip, but that does involve a long 1st and 3rd day. It's a truly beautiful area, although I am bracing for mosquitoes this time.
I would dig out my trip report from last year, but since you already have LMBSGV's it's probably unnecessary.
deej
Topix Acquainted

Post by deej »

LMBSGV wrote:Thanks for remembering my trip report, Maverick. Here's a direct link that should work deej:

http://www.sonic.net/~words/ASITHSTripReports.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have problems with that, try the link on my signature.

I hope you get better weather than I did. If you can manage 4 nights, that would be better. Going in or out of Rae Lakes from Onion Valley in one day is possible, if you get an early start, but it makes for a long day. Also, I highly recommend spending one night in Sixty Lakes Basin.
HEAVEN ON EARTH!
deej
Topix Acquainted

Post by deej »

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. It's greatly appreciated and definitely adds to motivate me to get out there and explore this area's wonder. I'd love to be out there for 4 nights; my son is preparing for his graduate/doctorate work, so squeezing 3 nights out of him is rough enough (but you never know - going to be a long 3 years for him, so.....)

Oh, and Maverick, the link worked, so thank you for that, too. The photos are breathtakingly beautiful!
deej
Topix Acquainted

Post by deej »

Oh wait, LMBSGV...that was your link? THANK YOU!!!!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I just did it this weekend. It took me about 9-1/2 hours (including lunch & rest stops) from OV to Rae Lakes, and about 10-1/2 hours from the middle of 60 Lakes Basin back to OV. The mosquitoes are very confused right now, because they are active only in the middle of the day, despite warm morning and evening temperatures!