Altering belt straps on an Osprey Atmos

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Altering belt straps on an Osprey Atmos

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Ok, this may seem like a silly question, but I just want to make sure before I make an alteration to my new pack. I have an Atmos 65 that fits great. My only issue is that the extra webbing on the belt straps hangs almost two feet down if I don't secure it. If I take it to a seamstress to have the webbing shortened, is there any reason in the future I would regret the decision? I should add that I am not worried about gaining a lot of weight and hence, mid-section girth that would require the extra webbing.

Like I said, probably a silly question, but I don't want to overlook anything. Thanks.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Altering belt straps on an Osprey Atmos

Post by oldranger »

CDM

Just make sure that when you initially put on your pack that you have enough length to really tork the belt tight. Be conservative how much you cut off. I suspect if you really have 2' hanging when cinched up that you probably shouldn't trim more than about 12-13" off. I'm not so bothered about the extra length hanging from my exos 58 so much as being close to the minimum amount I can tighten the belt. Can't afford to lose much more weight!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Good point, Mike. Yes, I wasn't planning on cutting off more than that--I just can't stand the straps slapping against my knees as I hike. As we all know, it's the minor annoyance that becomes the major problem 10 miles in.

I was a bit worried that I'd lost too much weight since buying the pack a few months ago, but a test run this morning with about 20 lbs. on my back felt great. Since last season I've cut 10 lbs. off my pack weight and almost as much off my body. :D
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Yeah losing weight does have some downside, I have one belt I can't use any more because I can't make it any shorter because of it's design.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I just got this pack too. I just cut off the excess and melted the ends.