New sleeping pad

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: New sleeping pad

Post by oldranger »

No and if she did I wouldn't have listened!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

The funny part OR, is that you are usually losing your knives. Guess that the new pad is a great way to find a knife.. thump.. PSSSSSS..
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

OR, can you inflate it manually? This pump bag thing I'm reading about sounds like something that happens after a colostomy. :eek:
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Flux wrote:Campsaver has a 20% sale on the thermarest stuff right now. Just ordered a the new Neoair Xlite.

16oz, mummy shape, 25 x 77, 3.2 Rvalue. I lose 8 oz of weight and gain .4 R and length and width vs my old prolite plus, but folks say these are comfy. And I definitely agree that comfortable sleeping in the backcountry is very important. Also an effort to lighten my pack (and my wallet!). I will just hope this is a good choice.

EDIT: Came in the mail last night and this is quite the piece. Translucent and you can see the aluminized baffles inside. Definitely took some breaths to get it inflated but it was comfy. I have heard a lot of complaints about the crinkly noise that it makes but its not that bad at all really. I packed it back up and it's tiny and very light. Seems you should be careful with it concerning punctures, but with a tent or good groundcloth I see little issue. Guess we will see next trip.

any long term experiences you can add? I'm in the market for the Xlite or an Exped mat for a late fall trip. I'm getting tired of carrying two foam pads (they do the job, just the bulk is annoying).

The Xlite appears to be significantly lighter than the Exped downmats, and if you're willing to carry a short foam pad in really cold conditions, I think the Xlite/foam pad combo allows more flexibility. In fact, I may even consider the reglar Neolite plus foam pad, as that may be plenty warm for anything but an arctic expedition.
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

The sad state of affairs is that I haven't slept in the backcountry yet this year. Just found out the wife is pregnant with twins and life is gonna be..................................interesting for a while.

Got a 10 day planned for late august though, so I will know then. Best read up on the online reviews at all the big gear retailers. Those can be pretty telling.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Flux wrote:Just found out the wife is pregnant with twins...
Congrats! :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

congrats on the twins!

I watched OR fill up his exped. The bag is pretty interesting. He can fill it up in 3 bags of wind if it's windy. 4 If not. I also watched him patch it again. He looks for feathers sticking out and then applies duct tape appropriately. My yellow Neo Air is still going strong after 3 years.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:
I also watched him patch it again.
Again :eek: , what happened this time? Maybe he needs something made of kevlar.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've no clue.. it was a slow leak. He does a ground cloth under the tent so It had to be something else. I was pushing pine cones away from under my tent. I don't use a ground cloth and let the tarp tent take the brunt.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

I just got an Exped synmat 7 UL and the external pump. The pump works great and only weighs an ounce. The downmat 7 ul is only slightly heavier. The synmat 7 is way comfy but I haven't tested it in extreme cold. I do sleep hot though.