The “B” Team bags Half Dome

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

The “B” Team bags Half Dome

Post by Vaca Russ »

My neighbor is a member of a dinner club. Several of the members decided they wanted to climb Half Dome. Tim played the lottery, won the 6 permits and reserved a camp in Upper Pines only to have all of the “wanna climbs” bail out on him.

So Tim went to 5 people he knew had back country experience and could endure the climb and invited them to join him on a day hike to the top.

We got an early start. The weather was perfect. The park officials really need to do something about these over grown fury rats.
Deer.jpg
We ran into a lot of these vermin. :)

The mist wasn’t too bad below Vernal falls.
Vernal.JPG
This is in comparison to last year in late June when walking Mist Trail was like taking an extended freezing cold shower.
Mist Trail.JPG
If you look carefully, you can see the ant trail of people climbing to the summit.
Diving Board From Below.JPG
Here is a closer look at the traffic jam.
Cables2.JPG
We eventually made the summit and I joined Tim for the obligatory “diving board” photo.
Russ & Tim Diving Board.JPG
And the group photo at the top
Group Top.JPG
If you can’t tell, I am the good looking one in this picture. :)

Again, there was a traffic jam on the way down the cables.
Cables.JPG
As always there were some real Yahoos up there.
Yahoos.jpg
We stopped to do a little fishing in the Merced.
Merced Fish.jpg
After thinking about how we were all replacements we decided to call ourselves the “B” Team. If you ever want to summit Half Dome don’t plan to go with a bunch of “wanna climbs”. Be sure to hand pick the best and most capable of your friends. :)

We all had a great time and had the chance to meet a bunch of really great guys.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: The “B” Team bags Half Dome

Post by Jimr »

Looks like a great trip Russ. Yeah, I've had my share of "wanna go's". It's amazing how adventurous many people are until they need to commit their time and money, then suddenly, something came up, can't make it.

I spent much of my younger years doing things and going places by myself due to "wanna go" friends. I quickly learned to plan my adventures with the idea that it will probably be a solo trip.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Glad you had a good time. Nice to see a trip to that dome that does not involve trauma.

That is the visor. The diving board is not on the dome.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi VC,

Wow, look at all the traffic. Cool TR, though thinking you guys "climbed"
HD via the Snake Dike route located on the southern side, which is really fun, and
a lot less people!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org