High Sierra Trail Key Exchange

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

High Sierra Trail Key Exchange

Post by BigMan »

Hi y'all. First time posting. I hope this post isn't inappropriate - please let me know if it is.

A friend and I would like to hike the HST in early August. As you know, its a logistical pain.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a key exchange.

I'm a 40 y.o. hiker who's hooked on the Sierra. In 2010, I hiked the JMT in 14 days and since then, I've looked forward to slowing down and exploring. If we can't do the key exchange, we'll likely do a South Lake-North Lake loop.

I'm looking forward to contributing on this wonderful site.

Thanks.

Geoff aka "Bigman"
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra Trail Key Exchange

Post by maverick »

Hi Bigman,

Welcome to HST! Good luck in finding someone, and looking forward to your TR
no matter which trip you end up doing!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BigMan
Topix Regular

Post by BigMan »

Thanks for the warm welcome, Maverick.

I'm so glad to have found this place. :thumbsup:
mshields
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by mshields »

Bigman,

Sorry for the late response, I just noticed your post tonight. With your trip coming up so soon you probably already have your plans set in stone. But just in case......At any rate If you are still interested in the HST I thought I might share a few thoughts on an alternate option

I hiked the HST 2 weeks ago under the following logistics.

1) One way car rental to Visalia.
2) Sequoia Shuttle From Visalia to Giant Forest (Only $7.50 + includes park entrance fee)
3) Free in park shuttle to Lodgepole for permit, then Crescent Meadow (trailhead)
4) Shuttle ride from Whitney Portal to Ridgecrest
5) One way car rental from Ridgecrest back home.

All in all it went very smooth. As far as expenses go, the priciest was the Whitney Portal to Ridgecrest shuttle. Everything else was very reasonable. Perhaps you could hook up with someone at the Portal for a ride to cut down the cost?
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Mshields,how long was your travel time? Im guessing one day on each end of your hike?can you give us an idea of the cost? How does it rate among classic sierra hikes?
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

We stayed in a hotel the prior evening; taking the 6:00am shuttle put us on the trail by 10:00am.

The entire trip cost (including hotel) was $150 per person with six of us.

I have only been traveling the Sierra trails for six years, but for what its worth this was probably my favorite route yet. The thing that impressed me most was the diverse scenery. A complete east to west slice of the Sierra's !
BigMan
Topix Regular

Post by BigMan »

Thanks for the info, mshields!

It doesn't like the HST is in the cards for this year, but your suggestion may come in handy for next year. I appeciate it.

Geoff
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

mshields wrote:We stayed in a hotel the prior evening; taking the 6:00am shuttle put us on the trail by 10:00am.

The entire trip cost (including hotel) was $150 per person with six of us.
I haven't checked personally but was told by another party that the cost to shuttle six people from one trailhead to the other is $750. That's less than the 6 X $150 you guys paid, and faster. If this is correct why didn't you just shuttle the whole way?

For a smaller group this sounds like a pretty good plan. I hiked the HST solo and decided that out and back doing long days was the easiest solution. But that's probably too far without resupply if walking typical 10-15 mile days.

Does anyone know if resupply is possible at Whitney Portal? I know you could buy twenty cheeseburgers there but can you mail or store a cache of food?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Longri,

Welcome to HST! You can send food for them to hold.

Your name: Longri
In care of Whitney Portal Hostel
238 South Main Street
Lone Pine, CA 93545
Arrival Date

Must be sent UPS or FEDEX! They also have a small store that has some supplies and
food.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Thank you, maverick. That's useful information for the future.

My recollection of the store at the Portal is that there isn't much in the way of food suitable for backpacking, mostly just foo-foo trinkets. Am I misremembering?