What do you put in your GORP?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What do you put in your GORP?

Post by Cross Country »

Almonds, or any kind of nuts take hours to digest. I don't believe they are good trail food unless you're hiking downhill. After eating almost anything during a hiking day will require a long rest while it digests. It makes you feel better from the neck up but slows down your body and you energy. For hiking, ingesting liquid calories is good. Gatorade is best.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I'll keep eating GORP. Gatorade and other drinks make me ill when I'm hiking. It was no fun at all pulling off Tioga Road every few minutes to throw up.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

I started adding roasted soy nuts this year. While they don't have as many calories per gram as almonds, filberts, peanuts, etc, they are a very good source of nutrition. My current mix is:

Peanuts 30%
Soy beans 25%
Almonds 25%
Filberts 5%
Raisins 15%

The soy nuts have 133 calories per ounce vs 170 for peanuts & almonds, and nearly 180 for filberts. I used to add different kinds of dried fruit, but raisins rank near the top @ 85 calories/ounce. I like them, they're cheap, so I reverted back to the good ole' basics.

The mix above averages 150 calories/ounce - 1 lb = 2,400 calories. I budget 4-5 oz/day of my own jerky that adds another 450-500, and a 2oz snickers bar @ 280 for an afternoon sugar buzz. Grand total calories per day is 3,125 for 22 oz (1.5 lb/day) or 142 calories per ounce.
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

... nothing to add to the GORP recipes (mine's pretty standard) but I just wanted to acknowledge jimr's signature line:

The tragedy of life is not death, but what we let die inside of us while we live.
-Norman Cousins

This really touched me. Cori (snownymph) has a great signature line as well. I really like these little reminders we get in our daily lives. You may have had it as your signature line for a year or so, but I just read it today. Anyway... thanks jimr.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

You're welcome.
I just changed it last week.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
DonDeadman
Topix Novice

Post by DonDeadman »

Just made mine for Thursday's trip...
Peanut medley as a base (roasted, honey roasted, yogurt and chocolate coated)
Raisins
Cranberry "Raisins"
Peanut Butter Cheerios
Chocolate chips
Will add some more dried fruit, like pineapple or banana chips...