Reds Meadow Blowdown

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
intrek38
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Reds Meadow Blowdown

Post by intrek38 »

Found some more info on the JMT trail conditions in the area.. There making progress on the other trails but have a way's to go.. Should make for some interesting cross country regardless..

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/johnm ... sage/22915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DonDeadman
Topix Novice

Post by DonDeadman »

Quite informative!
I'm assuming "JMT cleared sobo to Shadow Lake" means Southbound to Shadow?
It seems like they are really trying to get things moving, and have done a pretty good job. I'll keep crossing everything in hopes they have it all cleared in a month (a guy can dream, right?).
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

DonDeadman wrote:Quite informative!
I'm assuming "JMT cleared sobo to Shadow Lake" means Southbound to Shadow?
Correct
DonDeadman
Topix Novice

Post by DonDeadman »

Figured as much.
Seems like good news; especially if you look at the map they (Inyo Natl) updated on May 7th, which shows some good chunks of the JMT previously blocked.
Following the cleanup is nearly as fascinating as the blowdown itself.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

We contacted the Reds Meadow store. They should be opening middle of June. She said the FS exaggerated about the blowdown in that area, which is neither here nor there since the roads and trails open when they open anyway, but that they should be ready for business and resupplying. Which is good for me, I'll be coming down off the High Route to Reds for my resupply in late July.
DonDeadman
Topix Novice

Post by DonDeadman »

Inyo National Forest updated their work progress. This update actually gives a bit more detail than previous ones, such as:
High Trail- Pacific Crest Trail: Trail is passable to hikers to 2 miles before Thousand Island Lake, near the junction of River trail and High trail.

Now if they can get on the JMT North :D
ChasingRainbows
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChasingRainbows »

Anyone have any more updated info on the conditions in the area? Looks like Inyo NF posted some useful maps showing the portions of trails affected. I am planning a long trip coming from Yosemite and heading south through the area in a few weeks. Was planning on resupplying in Red's Meadow, but now I am not sure what to do. I would just hike in to Mammoth on the road from Agnew Meadows to resupply, but it sounds like that is "not allowed." The route that they suggest makes no sense for hikers coming from the North, seems that Agnew Meadows may be the only option.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/home ... 55082#maps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by OzSwaggie »

Hi I've been reading the Trail Journals website as the PCTers are coming through that area now and some of the journals have info. on that area.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

The packs station http://www.redsmeadow.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; update says that the store is now open for PCT resupply.
It sounds like the Forest Service anticipates opening the road in a week on Friday June 22nd.
And I read elsewhere that the campgrounds are accepting July reservations.

So, all in all, almost back to normal.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

Wait, which campgrounds are accepting reso's for July? Agnew? I'd read that there were no plans to open Agnew at all, but I would sure be stoked to learn otherwise!

I've got Scouts leaving Agnew via River Trail for Thousand Isle, then Clark Lakes then High Trail home, in August, so I'd really rather not have to stay in Shady Rest or whatnot in town the night Bear-fore we hike.