TR: Pine Creek 5/27-5/28

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by schmalz »

Hey Everyone,

I just started up a trail blog where my summer Sierra trips will be covered among socal day hikes. My first post was from my recent trip up to Pine Creek. I'm not sure if linking to an external trip report is encouraged or frowned upon, so please forgive me if that is a no-no here. All in all it was a great trip.

http://calitrails.wordpress.com/2012/05 ... moon-lake/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS - The website formatting is still very much in development. The blog isn't really ready for prime time, but I figured I might as well share my Sierra trips with everyone here while the information is somewhat current. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make the trip reports more useful or entertaining, I'm definitely open to them.

Happy Trails!
Brian
Last edited by schmalz on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: TR: Pine Creek 5/27-5/28

Post by maverick »

Cool site Brian. Love the photo of the dog stretched out on the pad! :lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Very cool! This gives me an idea of what to look forward to when I head up that trail into French Canyon this summer. However, I'm leaving my dog behind, as he is a great dog, but a terrible fishing companion and jumps in the water any chance he gets, scaring all of the fish. Oh well...

Cheers!

--F.G. Dave
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Great photos and a fun trip! Granite Park is on my list this summer. Your dog is awesome. What kind of camera were you using?
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Thank you for sharing! I love it when owners take their Dogs with them on their adventures! Callie is beautiful! Beautiful pictures and looks like she enjoyed herself!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Very nice photos on your blog. I think I recognized every single location of your shots--and even the exact campsite--and could probably dig up parallel shots of my own. But you had one big advantage I did not have--a wonderful canine model!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Thanks for the report. I'm headed over Italy Pass in 7 weeks. How much snow was on the ground in Granite Park? We are hoping to make it from the TH to Granite Park in one day, but it's nice to know there are good places to camp if we can't do it.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by whrdafamI? »

Wonderful TR! I have been up that trail twice and we'll be doing it again Aug. 2nd. Finding the trail into Granite Park is a hit and miss thing. Last time I went into Granite Park I think we were more CC then on any actual trail. It doesn't really matter much as you really can't go wrong.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Great report and pictures, thanks for sharing. Pine Creek is certainly a beautiful place.
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

Wow,excellent report and pics, thanks for sharing! I was up there last fall, and also camped near Honeymoon Lake (I also day hiked up to Italy Pass). That is a beautiful area and which ended up being my finale fr the backpacking season.

Thanks again!.