newbie making a test run to Chilnualna falls

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

newbie making a test run to Chilnualna falls

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Hi everyone. I am a 50yr old(?) newbie who hasn't done any backpacking for 30+ years. But that is changing this year, as I am going for a three day to Jennie Lakes at the end of this month and Mt. Whitney in October. I have my pack and basic equipment all ready to go (about 20-25 lbs. without food). I am planning on taking a day hike to Chilnualna Falls this Sat. with the pack to see how it goes. Do you think this is a good idea? I just feel that I would rather sort out any problems on a solo day hike than to hold up my companions next week. What do you think?

Thanks
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Re: newbie making a test run to Chilnualna falls

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

MountainMinstrel wrote:... I am going for a three day to Jennie Lakes at the end of this month and Mt. Whitney in October. I am planning on taking a day hike to Chilnualna Falls this Sat. with the pack to see how it goes. Do you think this is a good idea?
Well, doing Chilnualna Falls (2100 feet of gain, 3.5+ miles) in the summer heat is akin to beating yourself with a stick. Jennie Lakes is trivial in comparison, though if you do Whitney from the east side, well, nothing is going to prepare you for that (west side is better). A hike to Ostrander, Sunrise, Poly Dome, Young, 10 or Cathedral lakes may be more revealing.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Sounds like a great idea to me! You can always turn back.
Enjoy!
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Well it looks like a tie here so...I will be up probably before dawn to try to beat at least some of the heat, and taking mucho water. It looks like I could cook and drown all in the same day. But at least I'll get the chance to test the rain gear :D
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Well I survived the hike to Chilnualna Falls and I have to say, Doyle you were right. I do feel a bit like I have been beat with a stick. But I made the whole thing without any real difficulties and am chomping at the bit to get out of here next week. Jennie lakes here I come!!!

You know this may be the perfect way to make a 50 year old feel like a kid again. :D
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Woo hoo!
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
dreamer
Topix Newbie

Post by dreamer »

Hey newbie. Glad you liked the falls. Pretty area, really. As for Whitney -- if my best friend could make it to the top when she was a smoker (hard core smoker back then) and had a hernia that needed surgery, then so can you! She was well into her 40s then. Might encounter some interesting weather in October, so be prepared. We spent one night the first time, and then I went once in a day. Hard, but I'd do it again if I had a chance. Only this time, I'd want to time myself.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

MountainMinstrel wrote:
You know this may be the perfect way to make a 50 year old feel like a kid again. :D
Exactly how I feel on the weekends! :D :D :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

If anyone is interested here are some shots of the hike.
http://community.webshots.com/album/552941569UDjcwF
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Looks like a beautiful place, thanks for posting the photos!