Leavitt Meadow / West Walker River trip - anything I should

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
strollinbones
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by strollinbones »

Hey Everyone,
I've driven along Hwy 108 more times than I can count, and every time I get that vista of Leavitt Meadow, I'm dying to explore it. Well, an opportunity has arisen and I'm going for a short 3-day backpack into the meadow, along the West Walker. I wondered a few things:

1-Do I need to get my party a permit? If so, where or how?
2- I think there's a general rule in National Forests about camping at least 100 feet from water. Should I assume that's the only real limitation in this region as well?
3-we planned on doing the Bear Container thing. Wise, yes?
4-It's a pretty easy stroll through the meadow elevation and distance-wise, if Google Earth is at all reliable. If anyone's already camped back there, do you have any suggestions for day trips to regional lakes? We're fly fishermen, so it'd help to keep that in mind.

Thanks for any data you all can contribute. Enjoy the summer!
StrollinBones
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Leavitt Meadow / West Walker River trip - anything I should

Post by balzaccom »

HI Bones

We did this trip over 4th of July last year. Lovely hike, great scenery, and some nice fishing.

You do need a permit---you pick that up at the trailhead, self-register and you are good to go. And yes, while Leavitt Meadows is pretty flat, the trail does have some up and down. We then crossed the river and headed up to Fremont Lake, Cinko Lake, Long Valley...etc.

You can read all about it on our website, under the destinations sections, highway 108. And you should call the horse pack station at Leavitt Meadows. Great information on the latest trail conditions, and they gave us the key to getting across the river up by Fremont Lake. Of course, last year there was a LOT more snow and higher water. Probably not an issue for you.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Bones,

You can find answers to you questions here:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/htnf/rec ... 8&actid=51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also inquire about fishing in the "Fishing Hole" section for some great tips.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
strollinbones
Topix Acquainted

Post by strollinbones »

Wow, terrific info, guys. Thanks.

Should I assume that it's wiser to plan on making camp in the rockier area just beyond the meadow rather than in the meadow itself, simply owing to the skeeter situation? I love the idea of pitching a tent on some nice soft grass, but if it translates to sheer pain, I will happily walk the extra half mile or so towards Roosevelt Lake and find some less fertile ground for the little buggers.

All in all, this seems like a fine casual backpack. We'll be focusing on the fly fishing, so this appears to be a place where we can get easy access to the river and to a few small lakes.

Thanks again!
StrollinBones
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

strollinbones wrote:I will happily walk the extra half mile or so towards Roosevelt Lake
If you don't want to self-issue @ the TH, you can pick one up @ the Stanislaus Summit RS in Pinecrest. Even though you'll be in the Humbolt-Toiyabe NF, they do this as a favor to hikers since no one wants to drive all the way to Bridgeport. While you're there, you can make inquiries about conditions, etc.

As for Leavitt, it's a great place to take a walk, but no place to camp. I would plan on making it to at least to Roosevelt/Lane the first day. Here's a shot of Lane from last June they day after they opened Tioga. (We had decided to play it safe by going over Sonora because we didn't want to chance getting turned around.)

no2haven
Topix Acquainted

Post by no2haven »

If you don't want to walk too far in, there's a nice campsite just past Lane Lake. You'll go up a hill and at the crest of the rise see an open hilltop on your right. Several trees, a few fire circles, nice views and no mosquitos (typically!). No direct water access, though, so fill up beforehand.