TR: First Hike 1st Dinkey Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Kelbaker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: First Hike 1st Dinkey Lake

Post by Kelbaker »

This summer I wanted to take my 6yr old son on an over night hike were he could have a good chance to catch a fish but, it’s hard to get a weekend trip to the Sierras when Jenny, my wife, works on Saturday morning. So with Memorial Day Weekend coming up, with an extra day, this would be a perfect time to plan for. Watching the weather and road conditions a tree blocking the road ½ mile before the trail head and chances of showers on Friday and clearing on Saturday lends Sunday morning a good start time. After talking to the Prather Ranger Station I made a hotel reservation for Saturday night in Fresno after a 3½ hour drive form Pasadena area. Wanting Wesley's first hike to be a success we choose 1st Dinkey Lake, a place mentioned on this board, not to hard, 3 miles, and a place where we could have campfires (which he loves) and lend a good opportunity for him to catch his 1st fish. After picking up our reservations we headed up to the trail head still blocked by a tree ½ mile before Willow Meadows and covered in 3” of fresh snow form the night before. Here are some pictures of a very successful trip and no mosquitoes.
IMG_8563.JPG
IMG_8635.JPG
IMG_8650.JPG
IMG_8688.JPG
IMG_8705.JPG
IMG_8721.JPG
Many thanks to those of you who have given advise on hiking with kids on this forum. Wesley had a great time We hope to do at least one more over night family hike this Summer, and my week long trip to Miter Basin-Whitney with my 2 brothers and sister. Maybe by next Summer Wesley will be able to go on easy week long trip?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: First Hike 1st Dinkey Lake

Post by TehipiteTom »

What fun! Takes me back to my first backpacking trip with my son, when he was 7.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

What a great experience for you and your son to share. =D>
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Really cute pictures. I wish I could get my 7 year old interested in hiking. He will if there are other kids along, but I'd have to rent some if we were ever to try a backpack.

Has there been a thread on this? I searched, and found one on introducing kids to fishing, but not to hiking/backpacking generally.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Looks great! Friday and Saturday's snow was a really pleasant addition this Memorial Day weekend - it helped keep the skeeters away and made for nice photos plus just enough "fun" without ruining the whole weekend - a big contrast to last year.

Keep at it! I've found base camping trips are a good next step for younger kids - hike in, day hike(s), hike out. That way they don't have to carry a pack every day. Otherwise after Day 3 they may get more fed up.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

quentinc wrote:I wish I could get my 7 year old interested in hiking. He will if there are other kids along, but I'd have to rent some if we were ever to try a backpack.
Ha - we'll have to try a HST group trip! My kids definitely prefer company also. So I had to enlist their friends from school (see my TR from last weekend: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7702" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). At that age most kids are game for anything - whether their parents are may be another matter though.
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by riverwalker »

Excellent. I have similar photos of my then 4 year old. This brings back memories. What a great opportunity for your family. Keep it up!
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Outstanding TR Kelbaker! You got it down for the little guy. IMO, no matter what your introducing em too, you gotta scale it down and let em have fun. Then they want to come back. Looks like you nailed it!!!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

Great trip! Get him started young, and get him hooked! As he gets older you can do harder, longer trips. And by the time he's a teenager he'll want to do the JMT.
Kelbaker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Kelbaker »

Thinking ahead to next year if Wes is ready I would like to take him to a place like Humpreys Basin. Take a couple of days to get there from Piute Pass have a layover day then either day hike or go a little further depending how things work out. This would also introduce him to a little easy off trail travel and more fishing practice :nod: .