Rocky Basin Lakes TR - 5/27/12

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Rocky Basin Lakes TR - 5/27/12

Post by cloudlesssky »

Planned an overnighter from Horseshoe Meadows to Rocky Basin Lakes (RBL). Delayed a day due to a late season storm that saw temps reportedly in the teens on night of 5/26/12.

Left the trailhead at about 9am on 5/27/12. Hiked over Cottonwood Pass, down to Big Whitney Meadows (BWM), then on to RBL. Trail was 100% clear. Very few snow patches in sight. Relatively dry conditions across the meadows already. What a contrast from last year! I can't imagine what late summer will be like.

Trail beyond BWM to RBL is washed away for a significant distance. I ended up losing the trail both going and coming back and spent a bit of time wandering around before I found it. I saw only one set of indistinct tracks and no people past BWM. It doesn't appear that many people go this way (read on).

Despite the late spring storm and low temps (lows in the 20's and reported down to teens), the mosquito population is very healthy at RBL. Maybe due in part to the lack of fish? (The lakes are reportedly cleared of fish - I certainly saw none.) I stopped at the trail crest above RBL and was swarmed. It got worse as I neared the lakes, so I decided to backtrack rather than spend the night at RBL.

Like a horse to water, I ended up hiking all the way back to Horseshoe Meadows by about 8pm. Nice, but long day.

BTW - this was my first day out with a new Osprey Exos 58 pack. It was very comfortable. I was packing about 25 lb load, and this seemed to work very well.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Re: Rocky Basin Lakes TR - 5/27/12

Post by quentinc »

I'm surprised RBL was mosquito infested. There weren't any at Vidette Meadow, and it's lower elevation and often mosquito hell.
The night of the 26th was cold indeed -- I camped at about 11,400 and it was one of the coldest nights I've experienced.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Cloudlesssky,

Welcome to HST. Thank you for posting you TR and the info about the mosquitos!
Quentinc wrote:
The night of the 26th was cold indeed -- I camped at about 11,400 and it was one of the
coldest nights I've experienced.
How cold was that in F Quentinc?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Mav, I didn't have a thermometer, although I'd guess around low teens. It felt about the same as when I was in Evolution Basin last year, on the 1st of November.
Mradford
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mradford »

That sounds like one hell of a day hike!! I have wanted to check out RLB for a while now. I would love to see some photos if you have any!
Thanks for the Skeeter info as well.

-Mike
walkdawg
Topix Acquainted

Post by walkdawg »

The RBL's are indeed Mosquito hell. You could have continued on to Funston Lake where you would have found the mosquitos to be much more manageable.