Bishop Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Fran
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Bishop Pass

Post by Fran »

Has anyone been on the hikes from South Lake or Sabrina over the weekend? I could swear there was a post on the subject, but can't seem to find it now. I was eagerly awaiting a report of the trail conditions! Thanks to anyone who knows what it's like up there!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: Bishop Pass

Post by cgundersen »

hi fran,
You may get a heads up from someone, and there was a thread started by amaoxo (or similar) a few days ago concerning Dusy Basin and the consensus was that there should be few problems getting there in this low snow year. Besides, even without reports, I'd guess there have been plenty of folks leaving footprints in whatever snow remains on Bishop Pass, so route finding should not be an issue.
cg
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Some friends and I camped up above South lake this past weekend and a couple of the guys hiked up to the pass on Sunday. They said it was no problem except having to be careful of some ice on the trail near the top.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
exodus
Topix Acquainted

Post by exodus »

How were the lake conditions up there - heading up this weekend for some (hopefully) backcountry catch and releasing?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

exodus wrote:How were the lake conditions up there - heading up this weekend for some (hopefully) backcountry catch and releasing?
Saddlerock and below was ice free but everything above was still frozen.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
exodus
Topix Acquainted

Post by exodus »

Thanks Gary, appreciate it.
Kirk
Topix Newbie

Post by Kirk »

Are there any blowdowns in the trail at all? Hope to carry some kayaks up over the pass to leconte canyon next Friday and am curious if there are any obstacles in the trail. Also wondering if anyone had to do much post-holing near the pass.

Any info much appreciated.

Kirk
scottg1178
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottg1178 »

I talked to Parchers out of South Lake yesterday and the following lakes are Ice free... Long, Bull Chocolate, Spearhead, and the lower three Tyee. Saddlerock and Bishop Lake are still iced but should crack anytime.

I will be hiking out of the South Lake trailhead this Friday and Saturday...if anyone needs info on this area feel free to PM me Sunday or next week.

Any word on Ruwau or Treasure Lakes??

Thanks,

Scott
arundodonax
Topix Novice

Post by arundodonax »

Ruwau was covered but slushy as of 5/20.
David and Karen
Topix Acquainted

Post by David and Karen »

I haven't been myself but I did see this recent trip report of the North Lake - South Lake Loop which was taken before the Memorial Day storm.

Karen's Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48937858@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zenfolio site: http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;