Treasure Lakes/Little Lakes Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Treasure Lakes/Little Lakes Valley

Post by jessegooddog »

I am curious about Treasure Lakes in Little Lakes Valley, their outlet seems to run to Long Lake - is this a doable cross country hike for someone without cross country experience but very familiar with the area? Is there a use trail from Gem or Long Lake? Strenuous? I am 64, a woman, generally hike only with my dog and don't want to scramble over too many rocks.
exodus
Topix Acquainted

Re: Treasure Lakes/Little Lakes Valley

Post by exodus »

Unfortunately, there is no use trail from either the Gems or Long that I am aware of. You have to cross country from either one of those lakes. I've only ever gone up from Long and there's about 1/4 mile of tallus to cross on your way up. Gem has less of that to deal with, but is steeper (I usually come down that way).

Here's a picture looking down the rocks from about half way up:

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Jessegooddog,

This is better than a route description, from the photo's you can see the conditions
around the lakes in question. Hope it helps.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jensenl/ ... 06/sierra/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Great pictures; now I am not so curious...