2012 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Kennedy Meadows 5/12

Post by overheadx2 »

Kennedy Meadows - 5/12/12 - 0 - Camped at the campground and hikes up to 7000'and down to 6000' - already very dry, no skeeters
calipidder
Topix Regular

Horseshoe Meadows 5/27

Post by calipidder »

Horseshoe Meadow to Cottonwood Pass, 0. (as of Sunday the 27th)
Jason
Topix Regular

Virgnia Lakes-Gaylor Lakes 5/26-5/27

Post by Jason »

Virginia Lakes Area - 0
Gaylor Lakes Area - 0

Visited both over Memorial Day Weekend and didn't see a single mosquito. No bites either. Of course, the snow and cold weather could have had something to do with it.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Kibbie Lake-NW Yosemite 5/26-5/28

Post by tomba »

Kibbie Lake (NW Yosemite) on Memorial Day Weekend, from Shingle Springs TH, through Bartlett Creek between Many Island Lake and Spotted Fawn Lake, then Flora Lake, and back. Mosquitoes at 0 everywhere (it was snowing on the first day though), except 1-2 on the last day at the wet area between Kibbie Ridge and Kibbie Lake.

BTW, all creeks were easy to cross.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

White Wolf-Glen Aulin 5/26-5/28

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Yeah, last week up till the snowstorm in the White Wolf and Glen Aulen regions, just a few "snow mosquitoes" (big aggressive but wary buggers) here and there, mainly in wet, swampy or pond areas. Not really a problem.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Chain Lakes- Southern Yosemite 5/24-5/31

Post by oldranger »

Just out from s. Yosemite. Skeeters just strarting at Middle Chain. Got worse as we got lower, probably about a 4. Used Deet about 2 miles down the trail. Then gnats became the issue. Markskor said he kept swallowing them. I told him he should keep his mouth shut!

TR to follow next week.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
no2haven
Topix Acquainted

Kibbie Lake 6/2

Post by no2haven »

Kibbie Lake 6/2/12: 3 - very light during the day, voracious and swarming just after dusk. Not bad the next morning, however. DEET was no deterrent - retreated to the tent for dinner.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Horse Meadows 6/3

Post by BrianF »

Starting to come out in the Horseshoe Meadows area. About a 2 Sunday morning around swampy meadow areas
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
landESCAPE
Topix Novice

Dusy Basin 6/1-6/3

Post by landESCAPE »

My first official post here!! :)
(I've been reading these forums for way too long without posting...it's about time I did!)

Just came back (6/1-6/3) from Bishop Pass/Dusy Basin to the point where the trail drops down into Le Conte Canyon. Visited every lake in the basin. There were basically no mosquitoes anywhere -- even in the swampy areas and even at sunset! There were a few hiding in the trees at the lower elevations, but no DEET necessary. So I'll give it a 0.

Judging from the progression of all these other reports, it looks like they'll be out in full force soon...so might want to hurry!!
- Jeff

landscape artist | http://www.landESCAPEvisuals.com
co-founder and CEO, #escaype, weather service for photographers, | http://www.escaype.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: 2012 Mosquito Reports

Post by maverick »

Welcome aboard LandESCAPE! Looking forward to reading your future posts!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org