First aid kit

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: First aid kit

Post by The Other Tom »

Hi James and welcome to HST !
When you say trekking, I assume you mean in the Sierra ? Of course anything can happen, but most common injuries are blisters and sprains. So I bring some sort of ankle/knee wrap, pain medicine (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc) and moleskin or the like for blisters. Throw in band aids, bug bite medicine (antihistamine) and you should be good to go for a basic kit. Duct tape is always good as you mention, and believe it or not, so is a signal mirror. We've only used ours once but it was good to have.
jameswhite
Topix Newbie

Post by jameswhite »

Hi There,

Sorry, yes it'll be in the Sierra. Thank you, that's some great advice there - I would never have thought to pack a signal mirror...good thinking! Yeah I was just going to bring along this travel first aid kit originally, but clearly that doesn't cover the plethora of possible problems that could occur.

Great stuff, I'll be stocking up on these, though whereabouts do you buy your moleskin from? I usually just use plasters for blisters, so I'd like to see if this works any better.

Thanks,
James
Last edited by jameswhite on Thu May 31, 2012 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi James,

Welcome to HST! Here is a previous topic you might find interesting to read:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5984&hilit=first+aid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jameswhite
Topix Newbie

Post by jameswhite »

Thanks, there's a ton of advice in there...I don't know how I overlooked that when browsing the forum.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

jameswhite wrote:Hi There,

Sorry, yes it'll be in the Sierra. Thank you, that's some great advice there - I would never have thought to pack a signal mirror...good thinking! Yeah I was just going to bring along this travel first aid kit originally, but clearly that doesn't cover the plethora of possible problems that could occur.

Great stuff, I'll be stocking up on these, though whereabouts do you buy your moleskin from? I usually just use plasters for blisters, so I'd like to see if this works any better.

Thanks,
James
I get moleskin from the drugstore....CVS or Walgreens. If you already have a solution for blisters, I'd stay with it.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I am not giving any advice on safety gear, but I would like to share what I do.

Duct tape!!! It works great on blisters and anything else you need to cover or stick together. Coupled with some gauze, I can custom make any size band-aid I need, or use the gauze alone for whatever.

I snag some high quality duct tape from work (Dotty), and have cuts of it rolled up stuck to some almost wax paper so it peels off easy. Replace every so often.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Here's how I carry my duct tape:
gear 006.JPG
Learned this from Markskor. Guess he's good for something.

Other than that, I carry lots of various pills of various strength and an Ace bandage.. oh, yeah, and a couple band aides. beyond that, what's the point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

"Learned this from Markskor. Guess he's good for something."

LOL

" beyond that, what's the point."

Exactly, I carry only a few items but do believe highly in the wonders of Neosporin to keep a simple scratch or cut from becoming a nasty infection.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I do the duct tape on the water bottle thing too, but I'm incapable of rolling it anywhere as neatly as in Russ's photo.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Q wrote:
I do the duct tape on the water bottle thing too, but I'm incapable of rolling it
anywhere as neatly as in Russ's photo.
Have my duct tape around my hiking pole under the handle.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org