Trip suggestion requests

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip suggestion requests

Post by TehipiteTom »

Wandering Daisy wrote:When someone asks where to go in the Sierra, I am not able to say much. I can think of 100 trips and am not inclined to just throw out ideas. By doing your homework, here is how it is done:

1. Maps. Between Google Maps and numerous free websites with topo maps, you can get an idea of the lay of the land. If you can read a map you can get an idea of lakes, mountains and trees.

2. Where to start? The Sierra are large! If you have limited time you do not want to be spending days driving. So where do you live? Will you have a car? Public transporation?

3. Permits and stuff. Each Forest has very good webpages that tell you all about the rules and regulations. Most are now putting updated remaining permits for trails with quotas. No point in suggesting a trailhead if all slots are already full.

4. Guidebooks. There are tons of good guidebooks on the Sierra. They may not tell you those special "secret" places (we may not do that either!) but they all have good first time trips and give you an idea of how many miles is typically covered in a days travel.

5. Our trip reports. Here you can get more details and our opinions.
All good resources. There's also the visual approach. Flickr has several collections of Sierra Nevada photos (Range of Light and High Sierra are two of the biggest and most active); spend some time browsing the photos, see which landscapes most appeal to you, and Google those locations.
cthenn
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by cthenn »

I almost always start with Google Earth. I love playing around with GE anyway, so it's fun for me to check out the terrain and scenery from the 3D perspective GE gives you. Their terrain model is incredibly accurate, in fact I use it when I'm trying to name peaks on my summit panoramas. I'll go to "street view" mode (it's not real street view, with photos, just a ground-eye perspective) from a place that looks interesting, usually a peak. It's amazing how accurately this modeled view reflects reality. If it looks good on GE, it will look even better in person. And isn't that what we all want, to visit places with spectacular views, and to connect with the natural world?

Also, GE shows all the trails in Yosemite and SEKI with semi-accurate milages, so check out what looks doable for a multi-day trip, or even a dayhike. Just look for something that looks fun or interesting to see, like a nice peak to climb, or a cool looking lake to visit. Since I'm a dayhiker, I usually will get a rough idea of how much elevation gain it is, or how many miles it is, to see if it's feasable for a dayhike. I have placemarks on most of the Eastside trailheads so I can see where I can go from various starting points. I download all my GPS data to GE so I can see what areas I haven't been to yet, or where I have been a lot in one area.

Once you find something that looks interesting, get more in depth by then searching the names of the places that interest you. Use websites like this and SP and others that post trip reports or photos. (I use Bob Burd's website A LOT) Frankly, I just go by what people report and what looks like something I'd like to see. Once you learn a few websites, it becomes really easy to research new places to visit in the Sierra. The Sierra is big, but once you learn a few things about it, it becomes very easy to find places to visit.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Bob Burd's an animal. I love reading his reports and am always amazed at how far and deep he and the other challengers go in a day (and a half, since they seem to start several hours before dawn).
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted

Post by Wild Bill »

Hey Daisy!

I think you should recommend that they all go up the Shepherd Pass Trail. If they survive that, they can handle anything! Permits are generally easier to get, too! :nod:

Kind Regards,
Wild Bill!
eaglecreek
Topix Novice

Post by eaglecreek »

Many thanks to all who have replied to my post. High Sierra-North is on its way to me. Google Earth is fantistic. I hope to develop a few trip ideas and post them to get a reality check and/or alternative ideas. Planning on an early August trip. Will be flying in from Atlanta.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have an extensive library of guidebooks. Even in this day of internet information, I still use my guidebooks a lot. Even out-of-date guidebooks are still useful as most guidebook updates delete a few routes (the less popular ones) as they add new ones. TOPO (or a an equivelent program) is now available to do map work, yet I still own and use my set of 7.5-minute maps that cover the Sierra. I do not think the "new media" necessarily replaces the "old media", but rather supplements. One thing good about the internet, is that it is now easy to find copies of old guidebooks, usually at very low prices. I regularly take old novels (my husband reads a lot) to our local used book store and thumb through thier "travel" section where I have made great finds of odd-ball guidebooks to add to my collection.

I feel that more people should do a preliminary "rule-of-thumb" reality check on miles and elevation gain per day. This estimate assumes you do not get lost! And be sure if in a group you base the rotue on the weakest member's abilities. A bit of "contingency" should be considered for each trip. What if a day of bad weather pins you down? I estimate travel speed (2 mph trail with full pack, 2.5 mph trail with day pack, 1 mph off-trail) and add 1 hour for each 1,000 feet of elevation gain and 1/2 hour for each major stream crossing that I would have to wade. This way I come up with hours traveled per day which is a lot more relevant than just miles. As I get older and knees degenerate, I should add a time handicap for downhill! You may also want to keep travel easier the first few days while you acclimate. Another trick is to simply reverse the route and see if it makes more logistical sense. The finer points of route planning include identifying water sources, timing of being up on high passes, seasonal adjustments. All of the above is part of what I consider doing my "homework". This process is also great fun to do on rainy winter days. With numerous trips on my preliminary list, I then ask others about things such as "do you feel trip A is more scenic than trip B", etc.

There are some more vague preliminary questions that I feel are appropriate, mostly to get an idea of some far-flung area outside the Sierra or areas with little information available. For example, a question on if the Warner Wilderness (extreme NE California) is worth the travel time and expense given a certain limited days. I have done two trips in the Warner Wilderness and enjoyed both, but did them on my way to Washington state to visit relatives. They are worth a side trip if going that way, but for me not worth the expense of a special trip. But, be aware that everyone is going to give you a different opinion!

I am always amazed at Google searches. If you are willing to scan far down the pages (page 15 anyone?) you will sometimes be surprised. But pay attention to details - once I thought I found the area that interested me only upon inspection to realize it was in Chili!