Reds Meadow Blowdown

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Reds Meadow Blowdown

Post by RoguePhotonic »

There is a great deal of effort being put into removing these trees. Both an SCA crew and a hot shot fire crew are coming in soon to help with all those already cutting. Members of the PCTA from both North and South have canceled other projects to focus efforts there also.

The JMT will be top priority and I would be surprised if it was not cleared by August.

Just be thankful that special chainsaw permission has been given so that all the work doesn't have to be done with crosscuts!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

OzSwaggie

Expect JMT to be clear. My guess is that commercial packers will be helping FS to get main trails open asap since August is the month they make money. Also since it is a low snow year there will be more time to work on the trails. Not sad though, just part of the natural history of the Sierra.

I see Rogue is on top of the issue! Hotshot crews work about 3x faster than anyone else as they are in top condition!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

If any of you want to assist in clearing trees there are volunteer opportunities. The PCTA has two projects from June 3rd to 15th and then again on July 6th to 20th.

Then an annual project for the area is a joint operation between Backcountry Horsemen of California, Friends of the Inyo and the PCTA taking place between June 30th to July 7th.

As always you can come for a single day or the whole project and they are happy to have you.

And for all you older folks who think you may be too old for trail work. You might want to consider that a frequent volunteer with the PCTA only just retired from trail work on his 92nd birthday! So keep those limbs moving!
cahikr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahikr »

I will be one of the early season guinea pigs for the JMT.
Traveling No. to So. from Tuollomne to south lake starting 6/23.
I will post my report upon my return.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The Student Conservation Association has posted their dates for logging also which anyone can join:

http://www.trailprojects.com/pctsca03a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SCA typically is younger people in their early 20's without more major experience which is probably why it says you need current crosscut to join them. It's a bit sad they are sending them in without chainsaws because you cannot get much done with crosscuts. With the big trees around Reds Meadow you can spend an hour making a single cut.

Anything helps though I guess.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

New update posted May 21. The whole FishCreek drainage sounds pretty disastrous - this wasn't known previously: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 367033.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

It's just my luck, last year there was too much snow for our planned trip. This year we have permits again over Duck Pass. I'm still hoping that they have everything cleared by vacation time in July.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Holy crap that's scary. Sounds like an atomic bomb went off at purple lake. No usable campsites?? That's like the whole forest getting knocked down. YIKES!! Those are some big trees back there too.

just WOW.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have hiked in areas in Wyoming where they no longer maintain trails and the trails are extensively covered with downed trees. It is not that you cannot get through, but that progress is very slow. You may just have to be prepared for taking an extra day or two than you originally planned. I never liked camping at Purple Lake anyway so I am not sure I am very sad about the campsites being covered in downed trees. Maybe that poor lake will get a rest from all the over-camping.
intrek38
Topix Acquainted

Post by intrek38 »

Thanks Tim for that very informative link. I really enjoy the solitude of this area even with the JMT highway running through. I imagine most of the efforts will be focused on the JMT/PCT, but despite all the damage, I'm still planning on going over Duck pass and making my way over to Peter Pande, Olive and possibly Beetle bug Lake. If it isn't accessible, I can always choose a different path. It all just depends on the cleanup. It really does look like a bomb went off, nature has it's way of getting the much needed rest it deserves. Thanks to everyone...