1000 Island early June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

1000 Island early June

Post by riverwalker »

I would like opinions on getting in to 1000 Island and surrounding lakes the beginning of June. I am looking at going in and back out at Silver Lake.

I am a Level 3+ Numerous backpacking trips, some x-country travel.

My focus is getting out, but also photography and perhaps wetting a line.

Am I going to be too early. Any ideas on what snow levels are like right now?
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: 1000 Island early June

Post by tim »

Part of that area has severe damage from the wind event last November:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 367033.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might be better off further south. At least check with Mammoth Ranger Station first.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

riverwalker wrote:I would like opinions on getting in to 1000 Island and surrounding lakes the beginning of June. I am looking at going in and back out at Silver Lake. Am I going to be too early. Any ideas on what snow levels are like right now?
Are you going to do this as a day trip? It's a little over 15 miles r/t, and quite doable if: (a) there isn't any snow/ice on the Spooky Mdw trail; and (b) as Tim mentioned above, the trail is clear of trees above Spooky and past Agnew pass.

If you're going overnight, then you have the option of going around Gem & over Clark lakes if Spooky looks a little too gnar. If there are trees down and it's slow going, you can always hang around Summit/Clark/Waugh before heading back.

Here's what Spooky looks like when dry (the trail is the line to the left of the trees & stream fall):

Last edited by Hobbes on Fri May 25, 2012 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi JW,

Here is a TR from earlier this month though conditions will have changed since then
and will continue to change by June. There is no mention of problems caused by the
wind that affected the areas just south of here.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7655&p=55215&hilit=gem+lake#p55215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted

Post by riverwalker »

Thanks for the replies and links so far. I thought most of the damage was closer to Red's.

My plan was to go in for a couple days and wander around. I was hoping to check out Garnet, Ediza and other lakes in the vacinity. I see by the work progress report map there are sections marked with blocked trails by these lakes as well. I wonder how conservative they are being with these areas? Is it like the Red's area with piles of trees or just a tree here or there? I guess it will be alittle more like the old days when you just showed up to the trailhead and were suprised each day.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi RW,

The backpacker quoted by the OP said:
We met some backpackers coming
down from the Clark Lakes via Waugh Lake - they said there was still a lot of snow
on the ground up there.

No mention of obstructed trail which is highlighted by the map on the NF site.
The Spooky Meadow to 1000 Is Lake segment seems unaffected. This trail is quite
steep and not the best trail to start off a trip with, but I guess there are not a
whole lot of options available. On a positive note Spooky Meadow had one of the
most impressive carpets of wild flowers I have yet to witness in the Sierra, but it
will be to early for this, if it happens at all this year.
Once at 1000 Is Lake one can take the crosscountry route on the western ends of
1000 Is lake, Garnet Lake, Nydiver Lakes to Ediza avoiding the JMT.
Snow will be an issue, and Whitebark Pass is not the easiest pass, though being
snow covered it is easier, if one is proficient with snow travel (ice axe/crampons).
The Iceberg-Cecile Lake to Minaret Lake will require the same experience, and you'll
have to come back the same way since the Minaret Trail is effected, as is the JMT
up to 1000 Is Lake in sections or one could come back using Volcanic Pass to the Lake
Ediza.
Hopefully they will have it cleared out by June since this is one of the sections I
am considering starting 11 June, though I may go either way.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org