Trip suggestion for Golden Trout Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip suggestion for Golden Trout Wilderness

Post by gary c. »

I read on the Rock Creek site this morning that Big Pine Lakes #1-2-3 were iced out last weekend. There were no other details about the trail or snow. The guy didn't even say if it was first or secondhand knowledge.
ScoobyMike wrote:Not sure if this is in the GTWA but you can get into the Freeman Grove up by Ponderosa. Also can access the Needles
The hike into the Forks of the Kern and the Little Kern is GTW but that is even further out of his way than Jordan HS.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
CloudSplitter
Topix Novice

Post by CloudSplitter »

Hey guys!

I just got back from my trip, thanks again for all your amazing advice. I ended up doing 3 day hikes in the Eastern Sierra, as the lady was cold just sleeping in my apartment in SF (and the Blackrock mtn. road was still closed at the end of my trip).

-First hike was to George Lake up above Lake Sabrina (near Bishop). We encountered snow at about 9,000 feet.

-Second hike was up to Second Lake from the Big Pine Creek trailhead. If I'd known all the amazing camping spots available up in that basin I would have likely given it a shot. No real snow to speak of even up at 10,000 feet and amazing views of Temple Crag.

Here's a link to a shot of Second Lake/Temple Crag:

-Third hike we explored the Golden Trout Wilderness a bit out of the Horshoe Meadows/Cottonwood Lakes trailhead. I was stunned at how little snow there was up there as well, nothing that impacted any of the hiking we did (mostly just down towards Golden Trout Camp and back).

Anyway, thanks again for all of your information and I look forward to discussing the Sierra with you guys moving forward!

-Adam
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi CS,

Thanks for the update. Your photo did not load up, would love to see conditions
at Second Lake.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Maverick, it is a link to a facebook page photo, click on it.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks G, missed it. :D Nice, looks windy.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The Big Pine Creek basin is one of my favorite areas. I am surprised more hikers do not got there. I have been there a lot because it is a well used climbing base-camp. I have climbed Temple Crag, Winchell and Thunderbolt from Thrid Lake area. My previous trips were so focused on climbing that I have yet to explore all the lakes.

Sometimes you actually can see a lot more by doing several shorter trips from several trailheads. Sounds like you had a great trip.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

It's a little late, but i just got back from a family camping trip to Kennedy meadows. Easy 45 min. drive from the 395 from Ridgecrest and about 3.5 hours from L.A.. No snow, and perfect hiking weather. Fishing was really good for small trout with very few people there except for a few PCT guys coming through. Had such a good time that I am going back for a 4 day trip up the PCT along the South fork of the Kern river in a few weeks. Looks like a great early season area. I spoke with the Kennedy Meadows store, and was told that the rangers don't open the roads till Memorial day to get into Jordon hot spring and other trail heads. The black rock Ranger station opens around memorial day as well.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

overheadx2 wrote:Fishing was really good for small trout with very few people there except for a few PCT guys coming through. Had such a good time that I am going back for a 4 day trip up the PCT along the South fork of the Kern river in a few weeks. Looks like a great early season area.
If you like fishing, the South Fork can be quite good. But watch out for the rattlers!The area you describe is ok, but the fishing gets much better the further back from Kennedy Meadows you go, and the more off the beaten track you get. And you can go south, not just north, and fish the South Fork in the Domelands wilderness. I have pulled fish as large as 18" out of the South Fork, as recently as opening day weekend of fishing season this year.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Thanks, we hikes the PCT south about 3 miles one day, and the fishing was definitely better quality. As you said, its getting pretty hot, and we were warned of lots rattlers being seen down south. I figured Id hike north to higher altitude and lower temps. I plan on hiking into rock house basin to the south earlier next spring before the heat and rattlers. Thanks for the tip.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Next year, if you still want to go south, Private Message me, and I will pass on some info you might find useful. I have fished the South Fork from Kennedy Meadows all the way through Rockhouse, and a couple of miles south of Rockhouse Basin, at one time or the other.