New sleeping pad

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

New sleeping pad

Post by oldranger »

Well I finally ordered my "new pad of the year," an Exped 7 UL LW. I loose a pound off my old exped and gain a "snozzle" to inflate it with. At my age the 25/8" of down and air is a must for anything that resembles restful sleep.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: New sleeping pad

Post by maverick »

Hey Mike,

What happened to the Warmlite you got last year? You must be rolling to spend $200+
again on a pad again. :unibrow:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

The warmlite was too unstable (I toss and turn all night) and too thick (not enough headroom in my tent) for me so it is for sale. It is comfy though, just not right for me. Used one trip, no punctures, stored properly--$100. It is a size 64. Check out their website for full info.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

I have heard very good things about the exped line. I am looking at the synmat 7 ul. Keep us opsted as to how it is holding up, ok?
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

I love the exped products. Just purchased the synmat 7 (not ul) and had one of the most comfortable nights in the sierras in a long time. Good stuff.

Ladd
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

The Exped Pads are the most comfortable I have used the new one is about a pound lighter than my old one so there goes one pound for $220! My wife, kathy, who has bigger hips than I (whoops I probably shouldn't have said that, but women do have curves!) uses the Exped 9 (otherwise she uses two pads). We both use the wide and long versions though we don't need the length.

Mike
Mike

Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Campsaver has a 20% sale on the thermarest stuff right now. Just ordered a the new Neoair Xlite.

16oz, mummy shape, 25 x 77, 3.2 Rvalue. I lose 8 oz of weight and gain .4 R and length and width vs my old prolite plus, but folks say these are comfy. And I definitely agree that comfortable sleeping in the backcountry is very important. Also an effort to lighten my pack (and my wallet!). I will just hope this is a good choice.

EDIT: Came in the mail last night and this is quite the piece. Translucent and you can see the aluminized baffles inside. Definitely took some breaths to get it inflated but it was comfy. I have heard a lot of complaints about the crinkly noise that it makes but its not that bad at all really. I packed it back up and it's tiny and very light. Seems you should be careful with it concerning punctures, but with a tent or good groundcloth I see little issue. Guess we will see next trip.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Just used the new pad Exp7 this last weekend up at Hilton Lakes. It was a comfort to sleep and packs down smaller than any pad I have previously used. I feel like I stepped up to a Cadillac.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

My new Exped worked great for 10 nights except when I dropped my knife on it just before going to bed. Had an uncomfortable night but a duct tape fix the next day worked just fine.

Mike
Mike

87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

Didn't your mom warn you about chewing gum and whittling in bed? [-X