Harrison Pass / Trip Agenda

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
pvalovich
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Harrison Pass / Trip Agenda

Post by pvalovich »

I previously posted requesting info regarding Elizabeth Pass. This post is an attempt to clarify what I'm attempting to do. Basically, a 17 day loop visiting my favorite SEKI areas - without much of a firm plan, agenda - or clue. Just go where I feel like and come out on day 17. I've done similar trips of 14-17 days for the past 24 years into different locales. I'm solo and not resupplied, so pack weight is a concern - and about day 9 I usually start hallucinating about a beer and a pizza. One of the most memorable nights I've spent in the Sierra was below the south side of Elizabeth camped on a 3 x 6 foot level area adjacent to a small water seep.

I'e previously been turned back by snow on Elizabeth and "this doesn't quite seem right" attitude check on Harrison - but perhaps experience does breed confidence. So what does the resident expertise say about desending Harrison from south to north?
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: Harrison Pass / Trip Agenda

Post by cgundersen »

hi pv,
No question, you'll descend it. Check an old post by Quentin who I think did it a bit faster than intended. But, seriously, for the low snow this year, it should not be a problem. On my ascents, I've hugged the left side and then traversed to the right near the top. The reverse should work. But, if you have any doubt, I can recommend Ericsson col as a good alternative. It has better traction, but more talus on the lower part. I'll share the pizza hallucination...........
cg
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Here is Q's TR from last year with description and pictures:
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... rison+pass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Well, I considered descending it more quickly than I had originally planned. :wink: But reason and friction kept me clinging to the right/south side on the way down. I have previously done it without so much snow (which will be the case this year for sure), and did not find it all that bad. Nothing like Lucy's Foot, which almost kicked me to the curb.