Inyo/JMW top-rated hikes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
roxyk
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Inyo/JMW top-rated hikes

Post by roxyk »

Hi @FishPole, totally get your point re: the Rangers and I'm sure they are feeling the state budget pinch as well.
@Wandering Daisy, thanks for the suggestions. Not sure about the Stone House as I want to stick to well-marked trails (relative newbie). The Big Pine Lakes looks interesting, perhaps this would be a candidate for a second day hike since it seems unlikely we will be able to hike in & overnight anywhere due to snowpack.
http://www.americansouthwest.net/califo ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks for the tips everyone!
scottg1178
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottg1178 »

30% chance of snow in the Sabrina and South lake basin on Friday afternoon....40% chance snow Friday night. Slight chance of rain/snow on Saturday. That is the forecast for Aspendell this weekend which is about a quarter mile from the Sabrina trailhead. The conditions up there can change at any moment and they are there only predicting a half inch so I wouldn't stop you from your trip....but something to monitor none the less.

Scott
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

roxyk wrote:@SSSDave,
... Looks like Plan B will be Grouse Mountain :) Although from this http://www.summitpost.org/grouse-mountain/523785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it looks like the trail isn't that clearly marked and there is a creek crossing (wise at this time of year...)?
There is no trail up. Hardly anyone is aware that is an interesting place, even the locals. Just look at the reaction to those posting comments on your link. In the summer people are only focused on those big snowy peaks nearby while by that time Grouse Mountain is dry. This is its green time of year. One just notes where on the topo map least gradient slopes are. Looks at the small sagebrush zone mountain, sees where that easier way is, and walks up while avoiding denser sagebrush and any steeper areas. As for McGee Creek, its a small drainage basin though snows will be melting keeping it lively. There won't be any log bridges or rock hops. You'd need to choose a wider spot in the flow where it is shallower, put on your shorts, and wade leisurely across. If you must hike a trail, take the one up to Lower Horton Lake.
roxyk
Topix Novice

Post by roxyk »

Returned on Monday & thought I'd report back on trail conditions I encountered. A fairly decent storm came through on Friday, but prior to that Sabrina Basin trail was reported clear up to Hungry Packer. On Saturday I went as far as Blue Lake with no problem; others went to Dingleberry but said it was heavy beyond that & they turned around before Hungry Packer.
Big Pine Creek was completely open & dry on Sunday as far as I got, up to Fourth Lake. I'm sure it was clear beyond that.
Beautiful country & can't wait to go back!