Trail shoes

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trail shoes

Post by AlmostThere »

Superfeet blues and Trekstas are my magic formula. I've worn out my first pair in a year (600+ miles) of the Trekstas and long since replaces the insoles. I'm about to get another pair of the same shoes, maybe in mid-height this time. 90% of my hiking is done in the Sierra.

18 miles is do-able. :thumbsup:
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I have jumped onto the trail shoe bandwagon for all the same reasons as everyone else, so no need to rehash that. I go for more leather (or leather substitute) and less mesh to get better lateral support on rocky, stumpy, trail and off trail talus and scree. Currently, I am wearing the Patagpnia Scree or the Zamberland Braise depending on the mood. Be prepared to stop often and empty out the trail debris that falls into the shoe, or wear gaiters.

Speaking of bandwagons, I never got onto the trekking pole wave, but I did give it a try because I do have a history of enjoying cross country and downhill skiing. For me, after 5 miles, it became just another weight liability. I ended up losing one of them and the survivor morphed into a very respectable and adjustable walking stick. Be prepared to lose tips on steep inclines that have lots of talus and scree.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I have been using Vasque VST's for my day hiking and they are great. They do lack some durability, but I found them online for about $25/pair and so just bought a couple pairs. I used them last year for a 3-night trip in Emigrant and had no issues. In fact, I got them soaking wet every day, but because they are so thin, they dried out every evening without having to put them next to the fire. I had hoped that the good fit would translate over to a pair of Vasque Sundowner boots, but it did not. Plus, like others, I think I've come to the point where I just don't like the boot covering my ankle.

I recently bought a cheap pair of Vasque Juxt low tops and they are my new favorite. They are more durable than the VSTs and have a thicker sidewall, giving the foot more protection from sharp objects. I'll be using those this summer for my 7-day trip out of Pine Creek.

As for hiking poles, I am a recent convert and I absolutely love them. I got a pair intending to use them soley for backpacking. After testing them out on a day hike, I liked them so much that I use them every time I go out. They help me keep a rhythm going, make climbing steeps much easier, and my legs don't feel as tired after a big hike. Add another vote for the Black Diamond carbon poles.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
tightline
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by tightline »

Yeah, shopping for trekking poles is something having never used them before...everything from $25 to $200 out there. Not being familiar with the different features I'm not sure what will be useful to me, hype or whatever. I guess I'll get some cheaper ones and try them out on some day hikes. We'll see. Thanks again for the input.
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

I wear the Merrel Perimeters and am dang happy with them. They seem to be in the mid weight boot and have great support and traction. Break in was not that bad. I have sensitive feet that are a bit wide at the metatarsal and bad ankles too. These boots have saved me from a rolled ankle a couple times.

I tried on like 12 pairs of boots, drove the store folks crazy, but kept coming back to these.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

tightline wrote:Yeah, shopping for trekking poles is something having never used them before...everything from $25 to $200 out there. Not being familiar with the different features I'm not sure what will be useful to me, hype or whatever. I guess I'll get some cheaper ones and try them out on some day hikes. We'll see. Thanks again for the input.
I briefly saw a pair of carbon trekking poles at Costco for $30. I didn't check them out thoroughly, but for $30 it's almost worth the gamble.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
tightline
Topix Acquainted

Post by tightline »

There is a pair of what is evidently the lower end black diamond poles at Sierra Trading Post for less than $40--the "syncline" I believe. I do not know if this deal is offered on-line (I was at the store) but you know they do seem to have some very good deals on a lot of stuff on-line if you have not checked them out. Lots of different things like the merino socks, to Asolos and other shoes--some of which I believe have been mentioned on this thread, seem to run cheaper than a lot of other places. REI is also having a big sale now thru the 28th. Anyway, I thought I'd maybe try out the synclines to get used to them. Like I said, I don't know if shock absorbers are worth all the extra $. I guess maybe you could make a point for graphite because of weight--but aluminum is stronger? (In my case they'll have to handle around 250 lbs with the pack on etc.). I guess what I am trying to determine is if there is really THAT big of a difference between one or the other...my main concern by far is decending. Seems like cork handles would be nice too as opposed to rubber but hell I don't know. We'll see. BTW, I found some Brookes Cascadia trail runners on sale for half off and grabbed them.....they're bright red though :)
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

MHO, the adjustable shocks are worth the extra price, especially if you are trying to save your knees on the steep downhill stuff. Your wrists will thank you too. My remaining pole (lost the other one) has a Tee shaped cork handle which you don't see too much anymore but I now use it like a cane going downhill, preempting my downhill step with the pole that transfers the weight off my knee and onto the pole. I really suggest you go to somewhere like an REI and talk to someone who is knowledgeable. There is so much to consider in order to make a good match to your hiking style and expectations.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

As usual, mileage may vary. I have never found the shock absorbers really absorb any shock. They may, however, induce some sticker shock.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

tightline wrote:Yeah, shopping for trekking poles is something having never used them before...everything from $25 to $200 out there. Not being familiar with the different features I'm not sure what will be useful to me, hype or whatever. I guess I'll get some cheaper ones and try them out on some day hikes. We'll see. Thanks again for the input.

I started bringing a single pole....but I just use the wal mart cheap one. It has been abused quite heavily, and still works fine. I do have rough hands, but the grips are just fine. You can only do so much with technology for a staff. I would never consider a shock absorbing one.