Ionian Basin from Martha Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Ionian Basin from Martha Lake

Post by SSSdave »

I climbed Goddard twice from Martha Lake in the early 80s and don't recall the route particularly difficult except that it was well ducked and across quite a bit of metamorphic talus and scree. Explored the western parts of Ionian Basin also. At that elevation the sky is more saturated so lots of deep blue noname lakes, some with considerable depth. Generally I thought it was unpleasantly sterile with only turf and lichen vegetation and few wildflowers. Of course that is because some El Nino years there is so much snow there it dosn't melt out till late August when it all too soon starts getting cooler so little time for anything to grow. And without plants, one won't find many critters. Much the same as some other sterile high elevation basins in the Sierra up near 12k I've rambled about in like the Ritter Lakes. Both unpleasant dark and too often windy. I much preferred down by Martha Lake even thought that is also alpine with few trees, as there is considerable life down there both plants and animals.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Ionian Basin is stark but there is nothing like the large deep blue lakes. Camping is very limited. Be prepared to make due with few flat spots. The best camping is down at Chasm Lake. The lake above Chasm lake also has flat sandy campsites, but the outlet area is very windy. Every time I have been in the Ionian Basin I have had to walk over snow, even in late August. The permanant snowfield are likely to be very icy. When the sky is blue and sun is shining Ionian Basin is magic. When it is raining or cloudy, it is cold and stark.

You will find pockets of greenery but on the whole it is black, white and deep dark blue. In contrast here is Martha Lake - not exactly lush but a bit more green.

Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

When the sky is blue and sun is shining Ionian Basin is magic. When it is raining or cloudy, it is cold and stark.
One of my absolute favorite places.
hisierra4.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.