Headlamp

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Headlamp

Post by Snow Nymph »

I've been doing a lot of daytrips this year, and the peaks have been challenging. Which sometimes gets me out in the dark :(

I've been using the Princeton Tek Aurora, but the beam isn't strong enough for me to see at night (this is only good for around camp while backpacking). My eyesight is getting worse so I need a stronger beam. The guy at REI told me to get the halogen headlamp (Petzl Micro, I think), but its big and bounces around when I'm moving fast. (I'm faster on the downhill, usually in the dark) I don't need the LED since this will be used strictly for daytrips.

What does everyone else use for hiking at night?
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I use a Petzel Tikka mainly because it so small and lite. I wouldn't say its any better than the Tek Aurora but it works for me. What I have noticed though is that the lower I have it the better the resolution is on the trail. One time I ended up using it as a "hiplamp" (aka I wore it as a belt) and I could spot ants on the trail. The only problem using it this way is that its harder to focus the light in any one direction without dancing around. Maybe sometime I'll combine two lights - one one the head and one on the hip :retard:
Windwalker
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Windwalker »

Hi Snowy!

I've been using the Tikka Plus it has 4 LEDs instead of 3....not sure it will be enough of a difference for you to switch. You probably want something more powerful. My eyes aren't what they used to be either.
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

I was very happy with the Black Diamond until the battery wire shorted out on me. I replaced it with the Aurora, as you mentioned it just didn’t put out enough light and the lamp head seemed to flop around. I got another Black Diamond and compared the two, the Black Diamond definitely has a wider and longer reach and the lamp head is stable and easy to adjust quickly.
wingding

Post by wingding »

On dark nights my regular Tikka just wasn't bright enough for me - maybe my eyes just don't work as good as they used to, but I bought a TIKKA XP. The Tikka XP is brighter than the regular Tikka - I'm happy with it.

http://www.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProdui ... ere=&News=
ridgeline
Founding Member

headlamp

Post by ridgeline »

I have a problem with the halogen headlamps, Two hours into an ascent on Mt Rainier my headlamp died, I had started with new batteries, extras in my pack, It was on a steep slope at around 3 am. The headlamp was a princeton tec solo with halogen bulb. I had no idea halogen bulbs eat batteries like that.
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

I also use the Tikka Plus. I chose it primarily for its lightness. For the most part, a headlamp is just going to be extra weight I have to carry, and I am a real weight weeny... slows me down too much. It's 4 LEDs are bright enough to light up the trail around me. Because it doesn't have a beam, it's not as good for directional lighting. I have had one issue with the lamp, and that is that it seems to be finicky and sometimes shuts off by itself. This is probably a battery contact problem, and if I took the time to take it back to REI, Im sure I'd be able to get a new one... hmmm... I sense an REI trip coming on!

I really like the Tikka Plus because it is so light and does the job in which I am interested.

Now... to help navigate those desert dirt roads at night, I just bought a 2 million candlepower handleld spotlight from West Marine... wow.... love it!
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Still haven't looked for another headlamp. What I need is a dark room to test each one.

I'll check some of these out. I hate it when I can't tell a clump of grass from a rock! :eek:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

gdurkee
Founding Member

Headlamps

Post by gdurkee »

To my great shame, one of my weaknesses is headlamps. I must have 10 of them. I have lately settled on the hugely expensive and maybe slightly heavy Black Diamond Solaris. It's rechargeble but also works with AAA batteries. Has both LED at varying brightnesses and a xenon lamp with two very bright settings and one very low setting. It is truly an excellent headlamp for all conditions.

I've also used the 4 LED Black Diamond Moonlight. You can hike at night with it, but can't really ski at night (you want to be able to see far enough ahead to change course at speed....). Ultimately, I went for more light.

I'd previously used the Petzl Duo LED 14 (actually, a previous model, but that's what it is now). This one is pretty good. Kind of heavy, but lots of light as well as a low level one for reading and around camp.

Another thing to consider is if you're in temperatures below about 20F, you want to use lithium batteries. NiCADs go bloop very suddenly at low temps.

http://www.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProdui ... ere=&News=
http://www.bdel.com/gear/lightware_overview.php
http://www.ostranderhut.com/durkee_gear.html

Good luck,

George
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I went to REI and exchanged my Aurora for one that works better. The old one from 2003 was hard to turn on and the plastic felt like it was going to break everytime I opened/closed it. Got $29.95 credit, bought the new one for $19.95. SnowDude and Calhiker both have them, and theirs turned on/off easily, while I struggled each time.

Then I returned the Petzl Micro and got $19.95 credit. I bought the Princeton Tec Yukon to replace it (reg $59.95/on sale for $29.95). I tried it in a dark restroom in Death Valley this weekend, and the beam was pretty bright! I think I might like it. Thanks to SSSDave and Salim for getting me to look at that one.

George, you have a lot of headlamps! I noticed the neoprene socks on your list. I have a few pairs, and will start using them for hikes in the snow. I use regular leather boots, and they seem to get wet. I was going to use them for the Mt Gibbs hike, but forgot them at the condo. Good list . . . I use all Patagonia layers.