Cell phones

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Cell phones

Post by East Side Hiker »

Cell phones have changed the entire wilderness, and firefighting, environment. Last year, on a trip over Lemark Col headed for Ionion Basin, my woman got a call that her brother died. Dern IPhones.

But as a 39 year firefighter, those phones have resulted in quicker responses and smaller (which I don't agree with) fires.

Also, as we have seen, cell phones have resulted in Sierra "rescues" that weren't necessary. I do not know what to think about cell phones in the wilderness. People just are not responsible about the use of them; we've become so used to them. But they are of value in some situations, if not just the fact that they have GPS data.

What is the opinion of the group?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cell phones

Post by AlmostThere »

If cell phones worked anywhere we search other than the immediate area around Shaver Lake, we might have frivolous calls. But we don't. The only place I'm familiar with that has adequate coverage is Yosemite along the line of site from Glacier Point, and that's a pretty small area.

I never rely on cell phones and don't know any backpackers that do - solar chargers don't work well enough and the battery doesn't last more than 24 hours most of the time.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

My IPhone works almost everywhere; deep canyons in far northern CA as well as the Sierra.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Also, when I was a ranger (70's and 80's), I'd have to hike a mile up a steep ridge to call in and call out every day. The phone (radio) was very large in those days.

Its easy to get cell connections these days.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

When my experience matches yours, I'll let you know.

But that ain't matching at all. Sounds like you have the special magical satellite IPhone. Not the same ones my friends carry that lose all the bars before we get out of the car at the trailhead.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I don't plan to ever own a cell phone in my whole life so I don't have to worry about it. :D
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

As with almost there, my phone doesnt have service miles even from the trail head usually. If I had an emergency I wouldn't even consider my phone as any sort of help.

It makes a nice clock and camera, and takes HD video. I have some guidebooks, music, and pictures of past trips on it too.....but its rare when I use it for entertainment. 99% of its battery life is devoted to pictures/video.

If I were to use GPS on my phone, the battery would be dead in a day. As a camera only, I can squeeze out five days.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

RoguePhotonic wrote:I don't plan to ever own a cell phone in my whole life so I don't have to worry about it. :D
+1