2006 Mosquito report..post 'em here.

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Second week of July, snow mosquitoes are moderate in Tuolumne Meadows with higher numbers towards Tioga Pass, then less down the road east. A lot less than I've seen mid July in other years. However location is everything. I know swampy areas behind the Cottage Domes that are likely swarming. Midday I didn't bother putting repellant on when spending a couple hours roaming about turfy open areas of Tuolumne Meadows. At sunset at Dana Meadows west of the pass, they were thick enough swarming about that they became an issue whenever I actuated my camera cable shutter release since I didn't want the little black specs flying about in my frames. Fortunately dragonflies and damselflies are out in full force eating thousands every day so the days of the flying blood suckers are numbered.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Great reports everyone.

Just returned from Mineral King tonight. In the evening they were a minor annoyance in the meadows on the Eagle Lake trail. None in MK itself. Basically non-existent everywhere else. This morning, coming over Timber Gap I counted about ten total. Very very surprised about the lack of skeeters and very happy about it also. Didn't spray and only have 2-3 bites.
Steve Bearman
Topix Acquainted

Post by Steve Bearman »

Just in case you have not yet discovered it, the answer to all your mosquito problems has arrived.

I swear I do not work for the Repel company. I HATE mosquitos. This product, made with lemon eucalyptus oil, works as well as Deet. It has been clinically tested and approved by the CDC.

I was just in the Granite Park and Humpreys Basin areas. Mosquitos were moderate. I tried using deet and I tried lemon eucalyptus. They both were 100% effective in keeping mosquitos off me, even at the worst times of day.

Hooray! No more slathering toxic chemicals all over my body to keep the mosquitos away!
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

I just don't shower for two weeks before I go hiking and that seems to do the trick.

That stuff you are selling is potent. My dad put some on in may car at Courtright two weeks ago and the smell STILL isn't out of my car. I couldn't stand it. Not only keeps skeeters away but also keeps hiking partners away. :)
tory8411
Topix Acquainted

Post by tory8411 »

I had a couple buddy's just climb Alta Peak on a day hike Saturday and they said the mosquitos followed them all the way to the top! Flies and other bugs were hanging around at the top as well. He's been around and mentioned this was a rarity for him to see so many so high.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

I just got back from an overnight in Emigrant Wilderness (Gianelli trailhead to Y Meadow Reservoir (~8600 ft) - photos on my website in profile). Skeeters didn't bother us on the hike at all, but they came out at the lake, especially in the evening and early morning. I gave in and DEETed myself and they didn't bother me at all - they really swarmed two other guys in my group, don't know what kind of repellant they were using. Emigrant is pretty wet and mucky right now, but the daytime heat seemed to keep the skeeters at bay for most of the day.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

July 15 Mosquito flats was loaded at the trailhead, not bad after that, with nothing at Mono pass and Mt Starr summit.
nazdarovye
Topix Acquainted

Post by nazdarovye »

July 15-16 - Emigrant Wilderness from Gianelli Cabin to Y Lake

Mosquitoes not bad at all on the trail; slightly more than average at the lake, especially at twilight and in the morning.

PS - I use the Lemon Eucalyptus stuff too, and find it works well at keeping the bugs from biting, but they still hover and land.
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

I just got back from 3 days of hiking/backpacking. The first day was around Sabrina Lake and North Lake and the skeeters were pretty fierce, as expected. Then we spent two days in Little Lakes Valley and the skeeters were more than fierce, as expected. We were mostly in the lower marshy lakes areas. Mosquitoes don't bug me much, it's part of being there. When the skeeters are bad that usually means the trout are rising and the wildflowers are blooming and the waterfalls are cranking. And I actually enjoy the smell of 100% DEET because it means I'm in the wilderness!
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Hey Steve Bearman, got any pics of your trip to Granite Park? I love that place!