TR: 2012-05-12 Cottonwood Lakes loop dayhike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jimmeans »

Wade C. and I made the Cottonwood Lakes loop dayhike today. Nice mid 50s temperatures were a relief from the 90s in the Owens Valley. Our loop took us up the North Fork of Cottonwood Creek on the New Army Pass trail alternative. We followed this trail until we hit the outlet creek from Long Lake, and then we returned via the South Fork of Cottonwood Creek. We ended up covering 12.2 miles in about 7 hours including a nice lunch break at the highest of the South Fork Lakes.

We encountered very little snow on the trail going up. There was one downed tree across the trail about 1 mile from the trailhead, but it was easily bypassed. The only place that snow was really a problem was when we were trying to find the trail coming down from Cirque Lake to the lowest of the South Fork Lakes. Even in this area there wasn't really much snow, but because we we doing some boulder hopping the snow was adding some danger because snow and boulders don't mix well this time of year.

We didn't hike north from the New Army Pass trail, so we could only see Cottonwood Lakes #1 & #2. Lake #2 still had some ice on the south end, but this was the only ice we saw on any lake today.

Although there were about 10 cars at the trailhead, we didn't see a soul until we were within a mile of the trailhead on our return. We did encounter a hitchhiker on the drive up to the trailhead in the morning, and this turned out to be Dave Turner returning to the top after one of his paraglider descents.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: 2012-05-12 Cottonwood Lakes loop dayhike

Post by windknot »

Thanks so much for the report! Looks like you had a great day.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thank you for your trip report and photos! Beautiful weather yesterday. Is that a photo of NAP with snow/cornice along the top?
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Bluewater wrote:Is that a photo of NAP with snow/cornice along the top?
Here's what the view from NAP looked like last Sept. I guess this year it will look like this by July (if not earlier).

This year, July 1st is on a Sunday. The area might look like Crowley.
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted

Post by jimmeans »

Bluewater wrote:Thank you for your trip report and photos! Beautiful weather yesterday. Is that a photo of NAP with snow/cornice along the top?

Yes, the third and fourth photos are my attempt to show NAP. Since I've never been over NAP (I've been over OAP several times), I'm not sure exactly where the pass crosses the ridge.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

jimmeans wrote:
Bluewater wrote: Is that a photo of NAP with snow/cornice along the top?
Yes, the third and fourth photos are my attempt to show NAP. Since I've never been over NAP (I've been over OAP several times), I'm not sure exactly where the pass crosses the ridge.
On the close-up shot of NAP, the trail crosses the "cornice" at the far right side of picture - next to that single big rock among the white snow, jutting into the sky-line.
Been over NAP a few times and from the picture and past experience - conditions look quite do-able from the photo...have crossed over Nap on much harsher conditions. Looks open enough for me.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Jimmeans for the TR and pictures.
What a difference from a year ago in June when Quentinc posted his TR from this
area. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6366&p=44119#p44119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted

Post by jimmeans »

markskor wrote: On the close-up shot of NAP, the trail crosses the "cornice" at the far right side of picture - next to that single big rock among the white snow, jutting into the sky-line.
Been over NAP a few times and from the picture and past experience - conditions look quite do-able from the photo...have crossed over Nap on much harsher conditions. Looks open enough for me.
Markskor,

If I understand your description, the trail crosses the the ridge near the big rock in the center of this picture:
P1010212.jpg
Is this accurate?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for the details and photos of NAP. This forum is great! Your info is very much appreciated.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

jimmeans wrote:
markskor wrote: On the close-up shot of NAP, the trail crosses the "cornice" at the far right side of picture - next to that single big rock among the white snow, jutting into the sky-line.
Markskor,

If I understand your description, the trail crosses the the ridge near the big rock in the center of this picture:
P1010212.jpg
Is this accurate?
A few long traverses/ switchbacks on the way up - trail not visible in picture but obviously dry and easier as you go up...In the end, maybe 30 feet of snow to cross...The final approach found us with the big rock mentioned on our immediate left. POC
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout