Conditions mid-June in the Cottonwood lakes area this year?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Slugman
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Conditions mid-June in the Cottonwood lakes area this year?

Post by Slugman »

Thanks, blue, that's just the kind of personal information that is so helpful. I also got some info on a great campsite past Chicken Spring lake from a thread here about the best Sierra campsites.

My friends asked me about fishing, should they bring their gear and get licenses? It appears that the fishing season for Cottonwood lakes doesn't start until July 1st, so they are out. And the lakes like Sky Blue and Iridescent seem like they are too high to be all melted out by the time of our trip. That would leave just Chicken Spring and Soldier as possible fishing lakes. My feeling is that they should leave the tackle home, save it for some future trip, maybe next year, during prime time.
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Hey Slugman,

If you guys make it to Sky Blue or Iridescent make sure you have fishing gear. You don't need much stuff other than those little tube jigs or flies. Make sure you guys have a fishing license or pay the nine hundred dollars minimum ticket.

If you guys hit the upper lakes, they won't want to hit Cottonwood Lakes, well as you said it's closed. I'm not sure if the upper lakes will be open, but, Chicken Springs Lake,shhh has fish, we didn't fish there. Soldier lake has small fish that will take lures. I wish I was going.

Don
Slugman
Topix Novice

Post by Slugman »

Oh, I already told one of the guys that if he brings a rod, he better have his license, no fooling around there. We're going in my vehicle, and it's a long walk back to Everett, WA, where he lives. I've never been in trouble with a ranger, for a simple reason: I play by the rules. Much of WA state wilderness is lightly regulated and has minimal enforcement, but we also have areas with plenty of rangers and rules, like Olympic NP and Mt Rainier NP, so we know how to stay out of trouble. I see on the CA website that there are one-day and two-day fishing licenses, not very expensive, no problem there.

Bluefintu, the party size limit is eight, and we will only be four or five, let us know, no reason you can't come along, unless you can't, if you know what I mean. What else you got going on in mid-June?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Just a few thoughts.
We hit Horseshoe Meadows at noon and made South Fork Lake our first night - (Clearly posted trail signs seen at Horseshoe) instead of Chicken Spring - whatever - really no good fish in either lake. After walking up and aside the Cottonwoods, did OAP to Soldier. BTW, Great sites to camp with bear boxes at Soldier but the fishing was fickle and disappointingly small. Up the ridge to Miter basin next - first part of trail is obvious, but when approaching Sky-Blue it is easy to get cliffed out going up. I had asked Doug Jr. at the Portal to draw a "best route" up on my TOPO as we were going over Crabtree Pass after staying a few days at SB.
FYI, There are big Goldens at SB so fishing can be worthwhile. Upper Crabtree was even better for fishing - just ask the captain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Conditions mid-June in the Cottonwood lakes area this year?

Post by Hobbes »

markskor wrote:Just ask the captain.
Captain T?

Without revealing too much, there are some lakes in the region, besides the most popular on the main route, that provide pretty good fishing. They're not part of the CW watershed, so they're not subject to the 7/1 restrictions.
Slugman
Topix Novice

Post by Slugman »

We've decided to get the two-day licenses, so we can fish Sky Blue and Iridescent and Crabtree pass lakes. I like how we can get them online and print them out instantly. The real issue was hauling the gear, would it be worth it.

markskor, thanks for the route info on getting to Sky Blue.
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Hi Slugman,

I would love to join you guys. I'm kind of a slow hiker tho, that's because I carry crazy weight. Last year when my son and I went, I also carried a two pound raft to Sky Blue, we had a blast with it, but we didn't catch any fish on it because it just got to windy to control the raft. When you going? I'll let you know where we stayed at sky blue, but may have snow and ice. We went last year in August and had ice, but it was a good snow year.

If you go up and over crabtree pass, the north face may be a challenge. I don't know the condition of the area yet. I would think crampons would or help you from sliding down the steep pass, but for a six day trip, stay in the Mitre Basin. I just may join you guys because I want to go too!!

Don
Slugman
Topix Novice

Post by Slugman »

Pm sent, blue. Be advised: I am called slugman for a reason, that reason being that I am slow, very slow, without even the excuse of a heavy pack. But I stick to it, and get there eventually. Certainly your having been there before makes you an attractive addition to our friendly little crew. We are only five, so you (and your son) would be most welcome. We are all in our late 30's to early 50's, no youthful shenanigans or drunken idiots in our group, just experienced backpackers with a love for the high country and a respect for others and for Ma nature.
amaxoxo
Topix Novice

Post by amaxoxo »

This sounds like a great loop! I'm looking for a similar 6 day trip in mid June (June 11-17) and wondered what the mileage of this loop is? We're both experienced backpackers, but would like to hike for 3-4 days and lay over a few days, too. Can you tell me what the total miles of this loop would be? Thanks!
Slugman
Topix Novice

Post by Slugman »

The "minimum" loop, Cottonwood pass, up to Sky Blue, back over New Army pass, and out is something like 26 miles (per online sources and Nat Geo TOPO!). But plan on more, with side trips that are practically mandatory, if you are already up there. Primrose lake, Iridescent lake, Mt Langley, and Cottonwood basin, if you went to all of them, might bring you close to 35 miles. Add in Pickering and Crabtree lakes and you might be able to squeeze in 40. Definitely 40 if you wanted to see all the lakes in the Cottonwood basin, including Muir.