Any info on Harrison Pass??

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

harrison pass

Post by cgundersen »

Among the 4 routes (Harrison, Millie's, Lucy's and Thunder col) into the upper Kern Basin from the Lake Reflection/Mt Stanford area, Harrison is definitely the most accommodating I have tried (I went over it in the autumn two years ago from north to south). There did appear to be very meager trail remnants along the east side of Harrison (that I did my best to "improve"; then about 3/4 of the way up there is a diagonal scuttle (east to west) toward the top (the south side is a snooze). What's remarkable near the top is that there are rocks with copper (?) deposits that turn a striking blue-it looked like spray paint from a distance!
Anyway, looking (with binoculars) in the direction of Harrison Pass from State peak ten days ago, the route looked pretty clear, and much less intimidating than Lucy or Millie (I would only follow those ladies again under duress). Just for the record, do not expect a single tree on the north side of Harrison. Contrary to another posting, it's all rock, sand and water. Barren and gorgeous.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

CGunderson, you've probably been over Harrison more recently than I have, but my recollection is that after you pass through the rocky area (which I agree was nice) you have a very long stretch though nondescript forest, at least if you're heading towards East Lake/Lake Reflection. Other than the passes themselves, I vastly preferred the hike via Lucy's Foot to Harrison

Since you've done all of the passes, how does Milly's Foot compare to Lucy's?
gcj
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by gcj »

H-H-H-Harrison P-P-Pass! Slowly I turned... step by step... inch by inch...

I crossed Harrison many years ago from south to north in July of a normal snow year (1979). The upper 3 feet of the north side had the near vertical remnants of a cornice. The snow was relatively soft, so I was able to work my way down diagonally. At the base of the vertical part, I encountered steep ice that was covered with just an inch or so of soft snow... UGH! I had to ever so carefully chip my way over to an outcrop of rock to put my crampons on. To make matters worse, there was some debris in the chute, lying on the snow, that came to my attention as I was putting on my crampons. There was a Sierra Club Cup, bandana, bits of other clothing... all strewn at various locations all the way to the bottom of the chute. There were even some prescription medicine bottles. Oh my god! Someone had taken a pretty serious fall, here! This, of course had a very negative psychological affect on me as I slowly picked my way down the steep ice and loose rocks carrying a heavy 'multi-week' backpack. I was relieved, when I reached the bottom of the chute, not to have found a body there! I talked to someone later that day near East Lake who'd crossed the same day I did. He said that he had followed the crest up from where Harrison is marked on the map toward Mt. Stanford and found a much easier chute with less ice and snow. I suppose that if I'm ever to cross that divide again, I would try to find his alternate route.
-gordon
http://www.highsierrami.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Quentinc:
The route I took to reach Harrison was via the ridge out of East Vidette, and from the crest leaving Vidette, the basin (surrounded by Stanford-Ericsson-Deerhorn) that accesses Harrison is treeless. A remnant trail led from the basin down toward East/Reflection, and there clearly was vegetation as one headed down toward the lower lakes, but I cannot comment on the relative quality of the approach except to say that the basin below Harrison is stunning. As for relative degrees of trauma on Milly-Lucy. I have only done them from north to south, and frankly would not want to go the other direction (at least, not carrying a loaded pack). The reason is that the downhill momentum is likely to be a problem on both (unless, one is lucky and has accommodating snow, and/or climbing gear), as it appears gcj found out (as well as the unlucky soul who preceded gcj down Harrison). My recollection is that Lucy was a longer, more arduous vertical crawl at the top (with very loose dirt/sand), whilst Milly had the pleasure of loose sand on gravel for the final 50-70 ft which necessitated tentative and awkward climbing (and huge relief at the top). Still, in my mind's eye, Harrison is the way to go (when it's clear of ice).
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Thanks CG. I did Lucy's Foot from south to north with a full pack, and I almost got kicked to the curb. The descent on the northern side was a nightmare. As I mentioned on an earlier post, a very large boulder came loose, taking me with it. I was lucky not to be mangled in a big way.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I have done Lucy's Foot and Harrison Pass. LF being more difficult
but neither compare to the steepness of the northwestern side of Milly's
Foot from Lake Reflection.
I would not try to go down it even if you payed me, the top 80-100ft
is almost straight up which made me wonder what the hell I was doing
climbing it anyway.
Has anyone else climbed this crazy pass?