Trip suggestion for Golden Trout Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip suggestion for Golden Trout Wilderness

Post by gary c. »

CloudSplitter, I think that anything else GTW is going to still be under snow and not very accessable by the 14th. I assume that is why you asked about the GTW, because it's further south. The road to Horseshoe Meadows just opened in the last week or so. I don't think you will want to tak your GF out from there. Someone here might know what the snow situation is like above South Lake, I don't know if the snow clears any sooner in Onion Valley but maybe Flower Lake is an option for an overnighter?
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Just called the ranger station, the Blackrock Mountain Road is not open yet, things are
melting fast but not that fast.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
CloudSplitter
Topix Novice

Post by CloudSplitter »

Thanks guys! This is all great info. From what I've read in other threads there should be some trails accessible through the Sage Flat area though, no?
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

gary c. wrote:Someone here might know what the snow situation is like above South Lake, I don't know if the snow clears any sooner in Onion Valley but maybe Flower Lake is an option for an overnighter?
Here's a report on the Whitney Portal board from 10 days ago:
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum ... #Post90044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would assume most of the east side of Kearsage Pass should be clear by now, after another two weeks of heat.

The further south you go the less snow there is. CDEC report says South Sierra was 16% of average for the date on May 4 and still melting fast (even faster than Spring 2007). It looks like we are set for hot weather to continue for the next two weeks, so I'm now getting quite worried about skeeters for my Yosemite trip over Memorial Day weekend.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Thanks for the link Tim, that pretty well covers Onion Valley for sure. The view from the pass is always awesome but the posted picture is special.

CloudSplitter, an overnighter at Flower Lake with some fishing at Gilbert and Flower Lakes then a dayhike up to Kearesarge Pass and back down might work for you.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

CloudSplitter wrote:Thanks guys! This is all great info. From what I've read in other threads there should be some trails accessible through the Sage Flat area though, no?
Sage Flat is a nice way to access the area, although there's a bit of elevation gain to get up to Summit Meadow. From Summit, you can take the PCT north, although there will be snow at Olancha Pass, or continue west and work your way to Monache Meadow, which is quite beautiful before the ATVs and cows arrive.
CloudSplitter
Topix Novice

Post by CloudSplitter »

You guys are great! I'm going to spend Saturday evening finalizing plans. I'll let you guys know by then where I intend to go and post a trip report for sure. Any good early-season day hike suggestions out of Bishop are appreciated as well!
ScoobyMike
Topix Acquainted

Trip suggestion for Golden Trout Wilderness

Post by ScoobyMike »

Not sure if this is in the GTWA but you can get into the Freeman Grove up by Ponderosa. Also can access the Needles
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jimmeans »

CloudSplitter wrote:You guys are great! I'm going to spend Saturday evening finalizing plans. I'll let you guys know by then where I intend to go and post a trip report for sure. Any good early-season day hike suggestions out of Bishop are appreciated as well!
How about Big Pine Creek? This is a good dayhiking or overnight backpacking destination.
CloudSplitter
Topix Novice

Post by CloudSplitter »

jimmeans wrote:
CloudSplitter wrote:You guys are great! I'm going to spend Saturday evening finalizing plans. I'll let you guys know by then where I intend to go and post a trip report for sure. Any good early-season day hike suggestions out of Bishop are appreciated as well!
How about Big Pine Creek? This is a good dayhiking or overnight backpacking destination.
That was my initial plan, Jim. I just thought there may be a bit more snow up that way than Golden Trout though. I've been in from Big Pine Creek a few times, but never overnight. Does anyone have good early season suggestions in there?