Trip suggestion for Golden Trout Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
CloudSplitter
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Trip suggestion for Golden Trout Wilderness

Post by CloudSplitter »

Hey everyone! This is my first time posting here, what a great source of information! I'm heading out to the eastern sierra next week (May 14) and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a quick overnight trip in the Golden Trout Wilderness. I've searched the forum and seen some good suggestions, but I thought I'd start a thread just to get the maximum load of this forum's wealth of knowledge.

Here are the obligatory answers:

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 3- Numerous backpacking trips, some x-country travel
***I'm an experienced backpacker, but I'm bringing a young lady who's more of a Level 1-2

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 1 terrain/trail hiking
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country
- River crossings ---comfortable, but not preferred

What is your main interest?
- Lakes
- Big Mountain scenery
- Photography

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead?
1 Night

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers?
Ideally 4-5 miles in with the opportunity for some quick afternoon scrambles from camp.

Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in(Yosemite, SEKI
western sierra start or eastern start ect.)?

Golden Trout Wilderness

Will you be hiking with a dog?
No, this girl's actually quite a looker. \:D/

Thanks in advance for all your incredible information!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip suggestion for Golden Trout Wilderness

Post by Vaca Russ »

Will you be hiking with a dog?
No, this girl's actually quite a looker. \:D/

Hey, I hike with two very cute dogs!

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
CloudSplitter
Topix Novice

Post by CloudSplitter »

Ha! Those are indeed some beautiful dogs.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi CloudSplitter,

Welcome to HST!
In GTW but 6 miles in, a little over what you asked for by a mile, is Jordan Hot Springs.
Easy walk in to the springs but all the work will be on your return trip to the trail head.
If your into hot springs it may be just the place for you to introduce your girlfriend to
backpacking. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
CloudSplitter
Topix Novice

Post by CloudSplitter »

Thanks Maverick! What trailhead would I approach from, and are the hot springs any good for soaking in?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, and Blackrock Mountain Trailhead.
Out of Kernville drive north on Road 99/Sierra Way about 22 miles, take turn off for
Sherman Pass Road. Turn right and drive 35 miles to Blackrock Information Station
continuing straight on Blackrock Road for 8 miles to the end of the road where the
traihead is located.
Please post a TR when you get back.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
CloudSplitter
Topix Novice

Post by CloudSplitter »

Thanks again Maverick! One thing I failed to mention is that I'll be driving in from Bishop that morning. Any similar ideas coming from a trailhead on the eastern slope? I may be able to squeeze in 2 separate overnights on this trip! :)
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

CloudSplitter wrote:Thanks Maverick! What trailhead would I approach from, and are the hot springs any good for soaking in?
There are still a couple of tubs to soak in. Here is a shot of my buddy on one of our hikes there.
Jordan Hot Springs was once a hub of activity for the Southern Sierra. There is still several old cabins and the horse coral. It even used to be a pretty big supplier of lumber. Do a search on the net and you will be surprised at what comes up. I think that I posted a report with a bunch of picture on here a couple years ago. I'll try to find it for you. It is a long 3.5-4ml walk back up out of the canyon though.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
CloudSplitter
Topix Novice

Post by CloudSplitter »

Awesome! The more I look at the directions the more it seems it may be too far out of my way driving-wise though. I'll be coming from Bishop that morning and then heading to Death Valley the next day. My only shot at this one would be on my way back to the bay at the end of the vacation (if the young lady is still talking to me then), so any suggestions coming off trailheads closer to 395 would be greatly appreciated! I'm so glad I found this forum, you guys rock!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Definitely too long of a drive with you going to DV the next day, but maybe even better
towards your way back to the Bay Area, a good hot spring after several days of travel
and hiking maybe just the thing your body can use. :D