Conditions mid-June in the Cottonwood lakes area this year?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Conditions mid-June in the Cottonwood lakes area this year?

Post by whrdafamI? »

Please be aware that getting a permit reservation over the phone is a thing of the past. You need to log on Recreation.gov. in order to "reserve" a permit. Ask me how I know.......
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
Slugman
Topix Novice

Post by Slugman »

Sounds like there is a tale of woe behind that advice....... :(
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Slugman,

Welcome to HST!
You will not have any problems picking up permits. Snow and/or crosscountry eliminates
a very large percentage of folks this time of the year.
You sound/say that your group is comfortable with snowy condition, so getting to
Miter Basin should not be an issue.
Hopefully by then we will have a TR posted here on HST to this area which will
further enlighten you, and everyone else wishing to know the current conditions in
the backcountry. Please post a TR & pic's when you have get back.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Slugman
Topix Novice

Post by Slugman »

Thanks, maverick. I do indeed feel welcome here. :)

Yes, snow travel is practically required up here in the frozen north of Washington. Last year there was 10 feet on the ground at Chinook pass east of Mt Rainier, after the 4th of July, and the pass is only at 5,400 ft. I hiked to Park Butte Lookout on the shoulder of Mt Baker, in mid-August, similar elevation, and almost the whole trip was on snow. Last year was unusual, but we don't typically melt out around here until mid-July.

I will most definitely post a report and pictures. I live for that, believe me. On the northwest's top hiking forum, nwhikers.net, I've posted almost 250 trip reports in 9 hiking seasons.
cahikr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahikr »

Ok, I,m asking how do you reserve a permit online at recreation.gov for the cottonwood lakes area?
I have looked at their site and all I get are campground areas.
I am planing a backpack over memorial weekend starting at trail pass, and coming out on new army.
I would just like to avoid going to the ranger station for my permit the day of our hike as we will be arriving before 6 am Sat. the 26th.

Bill Morell wrote:Please be aware that getting a permit reservation over the phone is a thing of the past. You need to log on Recreation.gov. in order to "reserve" a permit. Ask me how I know.......
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

cahikr wrote:Ok, I,m asking how do you reserve a permit online at recreation.gov for the cottonwood lakes area?
I have looked at their site and all I get are campground areas.
I am planing a backpack over memorial weekend starting at trail pass, and coming out on new army.
I would just like to avoid going to the ranger station for my permit the day of our hike as we will be arriving before 6 am Sat. the 26th.
Tricky because Trail Pass is non-quota so you can't pre book at all. Typically you need to pickup even a pre booked permit at the ranger station (Desolation Wilderness is a rare exception). Your best bet is to phone the ranger station in Lone Pine and ask for a night box pickup. That may be allowed though may depend if you are going into SEKI (sounds like you are).
Slugman
Topix Novice

Post by Slugman »

The Inyo website says that if it is non-quota, you can self-register after hours (maybe).

"When Quotas are not in effect (winter season and non quota trails):

Permits are available the day before your intended entry date
During business hours, permits must be obtained in person inside the visitor center.
After business hours, permits can be self issued outside the visitor center.
Reservations are not needed for winter season trips, the number of permits that will be issued is unlimited."

However, when I clicked on the link for "How to obtain a wilderness permit", it had this to say:

"If your trip includes travel in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park you must pick up the permit in person during open hours, night-drop permit service is not available. Please contact the visitor center nearest the trail you plan to visit, or call for wilderness information at 760-873-2483."

I'd be interested to hear what they tell you, as I may be arriving in Lone Pine after closing hours the night before my trip in mid-June. We may just have to wait until the next morning to get our permit, not that big of a deal, just a slight inconvenience.
cahikr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahikr »

Talked to a ranger at the Lone Pine office and they told me to call 2 day's before the trip and that they would fill out the permit and put it in the night box for my early morning pickup.
This is the only way to get a permit for this area without actually going into the office during normal buisness hours.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Conditions mid-June in the Cottonwood lakes area this year?

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for the after hours permit info cahikr. I will also be there over Memorial Day weekend, first Sierra trip of the season. Maybe we'll see you on the trail.
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Hi Slugman,

I took my son last year to the Mitre Basin in August last year. First stop was at Chicken Spring Lake then to Soldier Lake. From the west side of the lake, maybe 1/2-3/4 of the lake, you just walk straight up to the west and stay high as you head north. It maybe a bit boggy in some areas as you head to Sky Blue or Iridescent so stay high. Another option I would do next time would for me is to stay at a creek crossing just west of Cirque Peak, maybe another mile or two and way less crowded. Have fun.

Don